CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Countdown to 2009...

You know, some things consume a LOT of our time and energy and it is all for nothing. This week, those of you who know me, know that I struggled with our plans for New Year's Eve (tonight). Frank and I were going to this party far from home with our eight year old so that Frank could play with his band - a fulfillment of a life-long dream to play in front of an audience.

There were many obstacles to over-come - where was the teenager going to be, how much I am uncomfortable at parties where I know no one, blah, blah, blah. So here dawns New Year's Eve and everything was in place. Nick was going to his girlfriend's house and her parents were driving him home after midnight. I was okay with the whole party thing and was all set and ready to go. The fly in the ointment came in the form of my husband's best friend (and band guitarist) Rob. Rob is a bachelor. He makes no commitments to anyone, he's a nice enough guy but a bit crude (you know, he tells fart jokes and cracks himself up). Rob has a tendency to back out of plans at the last minute and in the back of my mind, I was preparing for this to happen where this party was concerned. True to form, Rob backed out of going tonight. His reasons were many but it all came down to the fact that he never told his girlfriend about the party and she had made plans for them to be with her family AND his mother came down from New York and stayed longer than he thought she was. Sure. Whatever.

So now, we are at home. Just the three of us. Which is what I had originally longed for but my heart is broken for my husband. No dream come true for him tonight. He says that he's all right but I honestly feel so bad about the whole thing. I know I can't control what Rob did (lying schmuck) but I feel bad that my attitude was so sucky about the whole thing.

The night is young and we plan to make the best of it all. We're not up to going out and being social right now - we're both kind of ticked at the turn of events. So it can only get better from here.

I wish all of you a healthy and safe New Year's Eve. May you all be with friends, family and those that you love. And here's to a better 2009!

No comments: