CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Facebook = Divorce?

Seriously, this was the topic on one of the early morning radio talk shows this morning while I was driving Michael to school. There apparently is a study out that claims that something like 90% of all couples in councelling say that Facebook and My Space are large contributors to their marital problems.

Really?

I don't know, I guess I can see that as an issue but it just seems funny. The morning crew were giving their input and were saying that anyone over the age of 30 who played around on either of those sites was stupid.

I strongly disagree.

You know, these sites are not without their problems. I had an acquaintance who was on Facebook and she had looked up an ex-boyfriend and every time they talked (and she tried to talk to him a LOT), she seemed to want to talk about their previous relationship. Then she'd flirt and hint at all kinds of "if only" scenarios. Eventually, he had to delete her as a friend because he was uncomfortable with the whole thing and felt like he would be really ticked off if HIS wife were talking to an ex-boyfriend that way. I was impressed with his morals on that one. So I guess things can get out of hand but I find it bizarre that so many people are having these issues.

I have 400 friends on Facebook (a fact that I like to tease Nick about). I really maybe only talk regularly to around 50 of them. The rest are old friends that it was fun to catch up with, but we don't sit around all day talking about "the good ol' days", you know? I have an ex or two on my friend list but we were friends before we dated and we were friends when we broke up. We had our "what have you been doing for the last 20 years" messaging, and we were done. But I guess some people can't leave it at that.

Personally, I LOVE going on to Facebook. Mostly I play games on it now. I love playing Scrabble, I'm number one on Pathwords, and I am getting my butt kicked on Bejeweled Blitz. It's kind of nice to sit down sometimes and just let my mind go numb on these things.

So don't be hating the Facebook or My Space. Don't blame them for crappy marriages. Chances are, the marriage was in trouble already. If Frank asked me to delete someone I would. Why? Because he is my husband and I respect him. So for those of you out there looking to relive the past, DON'T DO IT! Some things end for a reason and looking them up on line is not going to help anything! Go on there and look up old friends or long lost relatives. I have found plenty of them and it's a fun way to keep in touch.

Keep it clean, people. Keep it clean.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I agree, Stacey. It is similar to the argument that GOOD parents wouldn't let their kids anywhere near Facebook (or TV or the movies or a prom or the mall or certain books or about a million other things ). Facebook can certainly be abused and used in ways that are unhealthy. But it can also be used responsibly. And if there was no Facebook, those same people would be getting in trouble in other ways, don't you think?

A.Marie said...

I totally agree with you, Stacey. My teen daughter has a Facebook account, and that is how we keep in touch with my twin sister and my niece (in Florida). We also are able to visit with my sister-in-law who lives out of state. I just think that Facebook is just something else to blame for a failed marriage. I agree; if it wasn't Facebook, it would be something else.