CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 30, 2008

One with nature? Not so much...


Last night we got back from a quick family weekend getaway up to Lake Gaston. Frank is doing some work up there and we had use of this beautiful house for the weekend. This was no cabin-by-the-lake deal, it was a McMansion with an amazing location and view.


We arrived there late Saturday afternoon and immediately fell in love with the place. The house was enormous but we mainly utilized the "guest quarters" on the lower level (aka - the basement). This was no basement like I'd ever seen, however, it was fully decorated, had a bathroom bigger and cleaner than my own at home and had french doors that led outside to the incredible lake view. Not too shabby for Stace. So we're there, the kids are swimming, we're lounging on the private beach, we grilled, we played pool, it was amazing. Now, I am one of those people who does not 'do' quiet vacations. I have to be doing something. Drop me in the middle of any theme park and I am like a mini Comando. Put me out on a lake with nothing to do and I am an accident waiting to happen.


Saturday night the boys all went fishing down by one of the boat houses (there were two to chose from). Not particularly caring to bait a hook, I stayed in the house. I had never played pool before but had watched my men play earlier and figured this was my chance to practice alone and then I'd surprise them and play them when they came back from fishing. HA! Fat chance of that happening. You see, somehow during one of my less-than-spectacular-solo-games, my finger got caught between the pole and the side of the pool table and I sliced a really big gash in it. I bled like a trauma victim! Now I'm running around this McMansion trying to find some bandaids - no small task when there are like 5 bathrooms split up over three levels! And of course, they were in the LAST bathroom I checked. Now, my middle finger is all wrapped up and my career as a pool player is officially over.


Sunday morning, while the boys went out to fish again, I stayed in, cleaned up and decided to surprise them with breakfast brought out to them on the pier on a tray. I had on my fancy new sandles and was feeling sassy, when out of nowhere on this perfectly manicured lawn, I find the only pinecone around, step on it and twist my ankle! Now mind you, nothing fell off the tray and no one saw me BUT my ankle swelled up and I could barely walk for most of the day! Clearly me and nature have issues. There was an old episode of "The Odd Couple" where Felix and Oscar go off to a cabin in the woods for Oscar to work on his book. Felix has nothing to do with himself so he goes off exploring in the woods. Every animal he meets he tries to befriend and they all bite him and by the end of the episode, he has a bandage on every finger. If we had stayed at that house any longer I have no doubt that would have been me.


All in all, it really was a great weekend. It was nice to get away and have it just be the four of us out of our own environment. And hey, I got to provide the comic relief. Not too shabby at all.

No comments: