CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Oh, Get Over Yourself!

You know, I have worked with the public my whole life. My parents owned deli's that I worked in, I worked in retail sales and management, I even did customer service phone work. I'm a social person who has friends. I went through the standard 13 years of public school and two years of college (almost). I understand kids and teens, for the most part. They do stupid things, we tell them that they are being stupid and everyone moves on. Ever try to do that with an adult?

Not so much with the moving on.

I am greatly perplexed by this. I mean, if someone does something, anything really, that is upsetting/annoying to another person and you discuss it, shouldn't it be done? I mean, what are we teaching our kids by acting like brats? I have had people come to me when I (or a member of my family) have done something that has offended them. Not always a pleasant experience but that's life. We each say what needs to be said and move on. Is the friendship over? No. Can we still talk? Of course. If you cannot handle being told that you did something wrong or if you cannot accept the fact that sometimes people will disagree with you or find something that you say or do objectionable, then you need to grow up. Really.

Our children pick up on our attitudes and our behaviors. Especially our bad behavior. Is that something that you want for your children? To have them go through life acting like brats because everyone doesn't think that they are wonderful? Part of having friends is being a friend. And being in a friendship means that you will not agree all of the time and that's okay. Part of being in a friendship means that it is not always about you and what is going on in your life. One sided conversations get real old, real fast. Part of being in a friendship means that sometimes it's not pleasant. So you have to make a choice - do you want to have friends or do you want to sit home alone and live vicariously through your children because you no longer have a life of your own?

It makes me sad when I see adults make that decision to cut themselves off from life because of their own stubbornness. I sit here at this desk with a massive window in front of me and watch grown people sit in their cars or turn the other way to avoid talking to people. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are days when you just don't want to talk to people. BELIEVE ME, I get that one! But to totally miss out on having friends because of pride or brattiness, well, that to me is just plain silly.

My friends are some of my greatest blessings in this world. I would be lost without them. I don't like to see people living life without friends. I honestly couldn't survive without mine. Have you cut yourself off from people? Do you have people that you can call and talk with (not talk AT but talk WITH)? I want to encourage all of you this week to reconnect with your friends. Clear the air if it needs to be cleared. But clear it with love.

Life is too short to spend so much time alone wallowing in self pity or being weighed down by pride. Celebrate life, love, and friendship. It really makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: