CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 3, 2008

How are you, Madam President?




Thursday night the boys and I were eating dinner when the phone rang. With the help of caller ID, we saw that we did not recognize the number and let the answering machine get it instead. It was a call from Hillary Clinton. Well, not actually Hillary Clinton but someone FOR her letting me know that HC was going to be in Wake Forest on Saturday morning and that I should come and check it out. They were heavy on the words, but that was the gist. So the message ends, I go back to my beef & broccoli.


Five minutes later, the phone rings again. Another unknown phone number to us and I joke to Nick, "Watch, Obama's calling." Guess what? IT WAS! One of his people was calling to inform me that I should ignore the negative phone calls that have been going around about him. I don't know about any of you, but the only call I got was inviting me to a lovely morning out with Mrs. Clinton. Nothing negative about it. Message ends, back to my beef and broccoli.


Saturday morning comes, and although I am not in any way endorsing Hillary, Nick and I decide to go and check out this speech. We leave the house at 7:30 am and walk the 2 blocks up to the Wake Forest College Birthplace. We were told the event was from 8 am - 10 am. So we walk up there and get in line. We're like the 6th people in line - they won't let us on to the lawn yet. We talk with our fellow line-dwellers and wait. And wait. And wait. Somewhere around 9:15, we get to walk on to the lawn and go through security and then get a sweet spot right up front in front of the podium. We are set. Any minute now, Miss Hillary will be there.


Or not.


I'm getting sunburned (yes, at 10:30 in the morning), Nick is alternating between playing air guitar (and not well) with the music on his PSP and singing off key to the music being piped in. Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" was his favorite. Finally, FINALLY at 11:30 Miss Hillary shows up. By this time I am a stark-raving lunatic with red, burned skin, a rumbling stomach and legs that are begging me to sit down. I'm not a happy person and fear that my annoyance is going to show on my face and the Secret Service is going to cart me away for fear of what I might do. But I controlled myself and figured, I learned all that I needed to without hearing a word. She was due there between 10 and 10:30 and was late. She spent the morning in Cary. They were more important. No one informed us of when she might arrive. If I had been considering voting for her before, this morning blew it. Nothing is more annoying than someone who is inconsiderate to other's time.


I did get some great pictures, however. She looks much better in person than she does on TV. It was a great experience for both me and Nick. We watched the Secret Service do their thing and learned what we kind of knew all along. Us little people don't matter much.


I need to go and put some Aloe on my sunburn.

No comments: