CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Graduation planning awkwardness...

Nick is graduating in June.

Oh...

My...

God...

He is homeschooled and I am heading up the graduation committee. We have 24 graduates this year. It's scary and intimidating and wild. My mom made up these amazing "Save the Date" announcements for the event and we are have a joint party for Nick and his girlfriend. I think it's going to be very sweet. But like most things in life, there are some awkward issues that have to be addressed.

If you've read this blog for any amount of time, you know that there are some family issues. I was on the phone with my mother-in-law this weekend and we were talking about the party and she asked if I was going to invite my dad. Truth be known? If we were just in a normal fight, I probably would. It would be the perfect way to end the nonsense. But our situation is far from normal and as much as I would like to have him there, I cannot take the risk of his crazy wife doing something like she did at dad's birthday party and ruining my child's graduation and embarrassing him in front of his girlfriend's family. Not gonna happen. If there were a way to include him and exclude her, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Then there's my sister-in-law: aka - the one I do not like. She lives on the other side of the country and chances are that she won't be able to come but do I extend the invitation or not? It I send her a "save the date" thing, she just might book a flight and come, so the snarky side of me is like "Just don't send her one!" Frank is conflicted too because after the whole cruise mess, he had had enough of her and they really haven't spoken much since then. She's never apologized and he is the kind of person who, if he had his own way, would be living someplace far, far away from all civilization (except me) and not deal with anyone. This whole graduation party thing is making him antsy and so I'm keeping him out of the loop as much as possible.

So there you have it. To awkward situations - one from each side of the family. Thank God they're not both from mine! Unusual. I have five months to get this all worked out and I'm probably going to stress out about it way more than I need to.

Dang it!

*Today's Examiner.com article is on frugal homeschooling and some websites with free curriculum/worksheet downloads. You can read about it HERE. Thanks!*

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'd just send them an announcement, after the graduation and after the party.

Unknown said...

have you talked to nick and his girlfriend about it? maybe they can help you out with the decision. if they know what "could" happen and are ok with it then maybe the invitations should be sent. just throwing that out there.

have a wonderful day...hugz!

Nani said...

can you have your sister talk to your dad saying you and Nick would like him to come-he is more than welcome to come BUT w/out her...and I would do what Karen said about the sister in law- send it after the whole thing

Frugal Vicki said...

I agree with Karen. I would send them an announcement after the graduation and party.
This brings to my foremind one of my biggest fears. I know you are pretty much out of the woods, but the whole grandparents rights things scares the crap out of me