CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The last birthday horrah!

So Sunday was Frank and Michael's birthday's and I thought then that we were done. No more cake. No more presents. But no, I forgot one last little hooplah that had to be had.

I have to bring cupcakes to school.

You are no longer allowed to actually BAKE these things yourself, you have to go to a bakery and PAY for them. So my .88 cent box of cake mix and $1.26 can of frosting are a thing of the past and now I have to pay $30 for cupcakes! Did the schools make a deal with the supermarkets? I think that this is borderline highway robbery.

I was talking to my sister last night and she's up in New York and she said that you're not even allowed to bring baked goods in for birthday's anymore by her because the school's only want HEALTHY snacks!! Great, just what every kid wants, a fruit parfait for his birthday party! Imagine how much that would cost for a class of 25! Especially being store bought?

I think it's crazy. I mean, how do we know that the bakers in the bakery didn't do something funky to the dough? Do we know that everyone washed their hands? That a mouse didn't walk on them? NO! Just my thought. Just my icky, icky, I'm-so-not-going-to-eat-the-cupcake thought.

*Today's Examiner.com article is part 2 of the 50 states field trips. You can read it HERE. Thanks!*

6 comments:

A.Marie said...

I agree with you on this one! Our school goes one step further...the baked goods that you buy from the store MUST have an ingredient list on it. This is for allergies, etc. Okay. This is a great policy, but did you know that some stores, like local bakeries, don't have a sticker with this info. on their product?

So, the cute little family-owned bakery in Small Town (next to my small town) has to basically either handwrite all the ingredients on a pc. of paper or print it out.

And, with all of the allergies that plague kids nowdays, that is probably why they are going the fruit route. But, that's not safe either because some kids react to strawberries, bananas, pineapple, etc.

I have a better idea....just have "birthday water." Surely there cannot be any allergies to that, could there? Oh wait, there could be...you know...chlorine, fluoride, etc.

HAHAHAHA! :)

Unknown said...

i agree it is getting ridiculous. if i still had kids in school, i wouldn't even send anything, i would just have a party at home and to heck with the rest of it.

have a great day...hugz!

jenn said...

When my kids started school, they said the same thing...BUT...I asked the teacher when Ryan's birthday first came up, and they said that they don't enforce that, so I have baked cupcakes every single year since. My sister is in NY and she bakes for her kids, too. (Sachem district)

Lola said...

It's weird. When I lived in Chicago my kid's school insisted on store bought. Now that we live in the burbs we can bring in whatever we want. Homemade or store bought.

Natalie said...

Wow...that's ridiculous! My oldest starts Kindergarten this year, I wonder what her school's policy will be. I remember loving bringing my mom's baked goods for my birthdays growing up. The world today really makes me sad sometimes. :(

Frugal Vicki said...

This is just ridiculous, I can kind of understand the from the grocery store part for safety etc etc, but healthy? That is just stupid