CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

We Were Robbed!!!

Yesterday afternoon, the boys and I went out to run errands. When we got in to the car, my phone charger was on the floor on the driver's side. I thought that was odd but picked it up and put it back in the center console.

This morning, we all got up, we got Michael ready for school, he and Frank left at around 7:20 and I crawled back in to bed. I mean, really, what's the point in staying awake when I have NOTHING to do?? So I'm all snuggled back up in the bed, ready to doze back off when Frank comes home. I knew he had been to school and back because it had been about 30 minutes. He's like "Did you take the TV's out of the car?" We have 7 inch dual DVD players in the car. They are not installed professionally, they wrap around the headrests of the front seats. Now I'm wide awake. "NO! Why??" They're gone.

They're gone.

I jump up out of the bed and get dressed and go out to the car. When I come back in he looks at me and says "Yeah, I kind of noticed that yesterday but forgot to ask you about it."

Deep breaths...count to ten...remember that you LOVE him...

For the next forty-five minutes I was on the phone with first the auto insurance people, then the renter's insurance people, then had a team of police officer's here...I mean, it was wild. Long story short, this theft IS covered but I have a $500 deductible and so being that the set was only $179, I am SOL. I am NOT happy about it.

Was the car damaged? No. Were any of us hurt? No. Do I feel like an idiot for leaving the car unlocked? Um, yes. We RELY on these TV's on long road trips. Granted, we're not planning any for a long time so this shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I cannot help it. I am skeeved out at the though of someone, some dirty-stinking-thief, rummaging around in my car. It just freaks me out. The cops are like, Yeah, well, it happens...but I want to put a billboard up in my front yard that says "To the Dirtbag Who STOLE From Me...God is watching YOU!!"

OOOHHH...I am just so mad!!! And you know what hurts even more. We had this system for like two years, right? I saved that box under my bed up until a month ago and then I was like "We're never gonna need this, right?"

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I hate people sometimes....

20 comments:

jenn said...

That stinks. I would feel violated, too, if someone was nosing around in my things. I never lock our van but am going to start now.

Roo said...

And for those that think you don't need to lock your cars in the garage... think again. I've know of people that had things stolen from their cars while in their garage. Always lock your car when you're not in it.... maybe even when you are.

carol at A Second Cup said...

I am so sorry. There have been a rash of unlocked car robberies where we love going on 4 months now. The police haven't been able to catch anyone yet.

Jennifer said...

Try not to think of him as a skeevy theif and more as a deliquent juvenile because that is probably what it was. A real thief would have taken your charger too. Sorry.

Tina T said...

That's terrible. If it makes you feel any better, my friend and I saw 2 teenagers breaking into her car and by the time we ran the 1/2 block to get there they were in the car and had it started. (it was a 16 year old who broke in in that record time the police later confirmed). We need to lock our cars, but sometimes we just have rotten luck no matter what precautions we take.

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

Getting robbed is such a violation. I try to remember to lock my car while I am not in the car and while I am.

Grampy said...

I am so sorry Stace. I know how you feel. I had my apartment broken into and it was locked up. The police said they got into a window in the basement and came up. I immediately put a dead bolt on that door.
But I especially felt violated because they went into the Fridge and helped themselves. The police knew who they were and with our help did capture them. Wouldn't tell us who they were because they were minors.

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

Oh that bites! Some people are just rotten :(

BK said...

That was really bad. But I am glad that none of you were hurt in this incident.

One Creative Queen said...

Wow - that's rotten. I'm so sorry. It's good that you all are safe, though - it could have been a lot worse. That probably doesn't help much...I know I'd be just as hacked off if it happened to me! It doesn't matter if you are planning a long road trip or not...fact is, they were YOUR tvs. Not the creepy "thing" that stole them. Yuck. I'm sorry! xx

Unknown said...

ugh, that really sucks...

Frugal Vicki said...

that sucks, I'm sorry. I am sure you feel so many different things. Sending you some hugs and a shot, take whichever-or both!

shydub said...

That sucks! You can never trust anyone around, soo quick those people to steal your stuff in the car. Sorry to hear about what happen.

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

I'm so sorry, that really sucks :( A few months ago we left my husbands brand new truck unlocked, and someone went into it. Strange thing though, they didn't take anything (nothing to take really), but they left an old camera inside. We turned it in to the cops, never heard anything about it again. Really creepy. I know what you mean though about just knowing someone was in your car, that's the worst part. Here's to hoping he/she is caught!!

Theta Mom said...

That really stinks. Sorry to hear about that. At least nobody got hurt, right?

Buggys said...

Getting robbed is just lousy! It really is a violation. My house was robbed 2 years ago and thankfully the thieves were idiots and chose to do this at 2 pm on thanksgiving Friday. My neighbor heard them and called the police. They were arrested leaving the house. By the time I got home it was all over.
I lock my car no matter what or where. You just never know.

Unknown said...

violated is the exact word that i would use too! how dare they!! i'm sorry that this has happened to you, it really sucks.

hugz*

Heidi said...

That is horrible and creepy. Too bad about not being able to get your money back. That doesn't make any sense. Everyone around here leaves their car doors open, except me. I'm not that trusting.
Oh and I crawl back into bed after the kids get on the bus too.LOL

A Lil Enchanted said...

That's horrible Stace :( Sad thing is though that even if you lock your car and they want something bad enough they'll break out your windows to get it... then you're not only out what they stole but you have to replace your window too. But regardless... I always lock my van even if it's in the driveway or if I'm just gonna be away from it for a few minutes... you never know when someone might get in there and try to hide. You just can't be too careful these days... even in a lil hick town.

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

A.Marie said...

Ugh....that is just horrible. I don't know why people feel the need to steal; obviously, someone never taught them about the Ten Commandments! My conscience would bother me until I died if I did something like that!