CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Waiting for the snow

Okay, it's going to snow here tonight. For most people this is not a big deal but when it snows in the South, it is WILD. There has been a massive storm predicted to hit here in North Carolina overnight tonight and it is all that you can hear about on the news. Having grown up on Long Island, snow doesn't bother me. I love the snow. I do NOT like being snowed in endlessly.

Back in 2000, five days after Michael was born, we got 2 feet of snow. It was NOT predicted. So there I was with a premie baby, snowed in for a week, going out of my mind. Seriously, it took a WEEK to clear the roads. It's gotten better since then but still, that memory lingers.

This storm has the potential to be worse because ice is predicted with it. Several years ago we had a bad ice storm that took down power lines, phone lines, etc. and so when the weather warmed up, crews went out and cut back every tree that came near a line of any kind! Sure it was practical but it made everything look weird and ugly. Then we hadn't had an ice storm since. Go figure.

So here I sit on Friday night watching the news and waiting for the snow to start. A dear friend of mine who lives in the mountains (about 4 1/2 hours from here) just told me that the snow has started by her already and that it's coming down pretty heavy. They're predicting up to a foot of snow here by me. I'm not sure if I'd laugh or cry if we actually do get it. It might be nice to have some snow. I know Michael would love it. I shopped as if the end of the world was coming. I have plenty of food in the house to keep us all well nourished. I've got flashlights and batteries and we'll charge up our cell phones tonight.

I cannot even imagine what it's like if you live someplace where they get REAL snow - like in Montana or something. They'd probably be laughing their butts off at us!

5 comments:

A.Marie said...

Have fun with your ice and snow and make sure that it doesn't find a way to come to Central IL! LOL

We gets storms here that have the potential to cause havoc, but they don't usually cause week-long shut-ins, thank goodness. I have had to go 3 days without power and thought I was going to loose my ever-loving mind. I gotta hand it to folks who live in places like Colorado, Montana, etc. They are braver than me! :)

Be sure to stock up on water and make sure you have a way to stay warm. We have a portable generator that hubby runs the furnace with.

I'll pray that the storm is mild and you won't get snowed in!

A Valdese Blogger said...

I live in NC within sight of the mountains, and we got a bunch of snow (maybe a foot - maybe) last night & mostly freezing rain this morning. So far so good as far as power is concerned, but it doesnt look like we're going anywhere today.

carol at A Second Cup said...

We are all settling in to enjoy the snow except Steff who is trying to find someone to come get her.

Windie said...

I couldn't agree more. Living in Houston,Texas where snow is rare my daughter and I had enjoy Jack Frost stopping by sometimes.I miss you stopping me site.I hope to see you there soon.

Frugal Vicki said...

hee hee, I am in Colorado, and so often I get phone calls of people calling saying they can't make it to a class due to snow.....3 inches of it. REALLY? But I will tell you, when I was nine months pregnant and contracting, we were having such a blizzard that the AMBULANCE WOULDN'T COME GET ME SINCE THEY COULD DIRECT ME ON WHAT TO DO!!!!! I was terrified. Thank God it was Braxton Hicks.