CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

How Can I Help You?

Sometimes there is not help for the un-helpable. You find this hard to believe? Follow this now-typical scenario and remember, I work in a homeschool bookstore.

Me: Hey, How are you today?
Customer: Fine, thanks.
Me: Can I help you find anything?
Customer: I'm looking for a book. (Then stares at you as if this answers all of your questions.
Me: Okay, what subject are you needing.
Customer: Geometry.
Me: Okay, follow me and I'll show you what we have. (Now we walk the 10 feet over to the math section where I pull out my first choice, Bob Jones, and show it to the customer.)
Customer: We don't want a traditional text-book approach.
Me: Oh, okay, well then there's Teaching Textbooks, it's a great computer based curriculum...
Customer: We don't do computer based stuff.
Me: (Internal sigh) Why don't you tell me what you're looking for. Do you have a specific curriculum in mind that you've heard about?
Customer: No. (Then stares at you again as if this clears everything up)
Me: Okay, let me think for a moment, we have Abeka, which is a little different from the Bob Jones...
Customer: No, still to text-book oriented.
Me: (Completely stumped at this point) Have you researched what else is out there? Our teachers here all use the Bob Jones. It's the most popular high school geometry out there.
Customer: No. (Still staring as if waiting for me to magically produce this curriculum myself while standing there).

*Now keep in mind, while this riveting conversation is going on, other customers are waiting for help and the phone has rung about 4 different times.*

Me: Why don't you take a look around. Here's our used math curriculum and see if anything interests you. You can just give a shout-out if you need anything.
Customer: Oh, okay. Wait, I'm looking for another book...

And on and on this little theater of pain continues....

No comments: