CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Surprises" in the mail...

A couple of years ago, someone had broken in to my car right here in our driveway.  It kind of ticked me off because the car is parked practically right outside my bedroom window and Frank is a nightowl who stays up until 3-4 in the morning and neither of us had heard anything.

It was a Monday morning when Frank was driving Michael to school when they both "thought" something was missing, but decided to say nothing to me.  The following morning, after driving Michael to school, Frank said "Did you take the DVD players out of the car?"  I had not and so I called the cops.  

Since we didn't know when the actual theft had occurred, the cops took our statement and pretty much told us that there was little to no chance of finding the people responsible and that there had been a rash of car breakins in the area.  Good-bye and good luck.

I was not happy.  They were dual screened portable DVD players and we usually only used them on long car trips but after our last one to wherever, the boys wanted them to stay in the car or were too lazy to take them out, whatever.  They cost $179 and that's not money that we usually have to spare.  I filed a claim with our insurance company but with our deductible, we weren't getting anything.

Yesterday in the mail I get a letter from a lawyer's office.  It scared the crap out of me because with all that's going on lately, I was sure that someone was after me for not paying something.  I open it up and after reading the letter like a half a dozen times it turns out that the car thief was actually CAUGHT, has been in jail and is now getting ready to be released and has been ordered to pay us the $179!  I have no idea if we'll actually ever SEE that money but I find it odd that we were never contacted to be let known that the police had actually caught anyone!

I'm not holding out much hope but it would be nice to get that money back...maybe soon...

3 comments:

Grampy said...

That would be a nice early Christmas present. Hope you get it.

Petula said...

Wow, I'm sure that was weird getting that letter. It is surprising that they didn't let you know someone was caught. Oh well, I hope you get the money back!

Brenda said...

Wow! I hope you do get the money.