CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Childhood Phobia's That Linger On...

Okay so I know nothing is sleeping under my bed. I never have to check the closet for the boogie man. These are things that I outgrew YEARS ago. I'm not afraid of the dark. Thunderstorms don't scare me. I can watch a scary movie, most of the time, without lingering effects. None of these things were huge issues growing up but the ONE thing that terrified me and caused me nightmares and still does... well, it's heinous. It's...it's...Yes, it is Underdog. Why? Well, the reason are endless, really. You see, he, himself, the dog, is fine. Kind of cute, actually. I mean, who doesn't like Shoeshine Boy? But the music...OH DEAR LORD the MUSIC!! That theme song has creeped me out from the time I was four years old! And, to be fair, it was a fairly sinister little show - the villains were truly evil looking and the music was always ominous. That creepy giant who walked across the screen...great, now I'll be thinking about this all night! When I was little, my sister knew I was afraid of this and would call me in to a room and then BAM! on the TV was Underdog. She got a big kick out of my screams every time. It's still a long-running joke between us. Honestly, I don't know why this one thing effects me the way that it does. Last night I woke up in a cold sweat because in my dream, Underdog was on the TV. Then I woke up and for like an hour, that stupid, creepy theme-song played in my head. I tried to find some other ridiculous song to take it's place and I think finally Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" actually did the trick. Again, no one knows why. So here I am, a 40 year old woman who still cannot watch a cartoon dog. Seriously, if I think about it long enough, I can still remember how the TV stayed black for just a moment before the show began and the hum of the TV. Whenever I hear that...well, let's just say I've got a LOT of noise going on around me right now to make sure I stay distracted! Just to be clear, I don't mind the Underdog balloon on the Macy's parade, Shoeshine Boy is fine, but the music... (Insert shiver here) *The above is my entry for Scribbit's October Write Away Contest (which I am so glad is back in action!). For rules or to participate, go to Scribbit.blogspot.com. Enjoy and good luck!!*

7 comments:

Becki said...

Whoa. Of all the things I may have guessed as a lingering childhood phobia, this wasn't even on the list ;) Luckily it shouldn't be too hard to avoid!

A Lil Enchanted said...

Oh no... now ya know Stace that since you blogged about this you are surely gonna turn on the tv and there will be Under Dog... or at least the music.

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

P.S. You have a goody over on my blog! Hint: It's not Under Dog...lol

A.Marie said...

HAHA! You are so funny! Love visitng your blog! :)

We have the van sitting right in my driveway; it looks so pretty! :)

Lola said...

Yikes! You could always try "It's a Small World". I'll get you started.."It's a world of laughter, a world or tears. It's a world of hopes, it's a world of fear. There's so much that we share, that its time we're aware, its a small world after all."

Or how about Lamb Chops "Song That Never Ends"? "This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends..."

You can thank me later. ;D

Stacie said...

I don't like the music either. It creeps me out. Have a great weekend.

admin said...

I forgot about that show. Now that you mention it, the song is kind of creepy sounding.

Scribbit said...

REALLY? That's funny--not that I'm laughing at your pain or anything :)