Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Rough Being a Woman

So as I mentioned in my last post, I went and had my very first mammogram. I did NOT want to go. At all. As a matter of fact, I kept ignoring the scheduling nurse's call for months just because I did not want to have to deal with this. But she finally wore me down and to be fair, she got me in under a program where it was free.

Can't argue with that, right?

I was in a pretty pissy mood the whole morning of the appointment. I mean, you can't wear deodorant!!! It's not like I smell or anything, but you know, no deodorant!!! I had no idea where the place was and I really hate not knowing where I'm going. I get all freaked out and end up leaving WAY too early and getting there way too early.

Which I did.

I arrived at this massive hospital complex and was told that the office was next to the emergency room. Great. So are several buildings, none of which are clearly marked. So I walked around outside - more like wandered aimlessly. Finally, when I could take no more, I walked up to the next building with a head full of steam . Screaming in my head about how inconsiderate it was to not give me more thorough directions and how I was going to yell at the first person I found in the next building and how they had better watch out! Well, I stepped through the automatic doors and immediately to my right was the office that I needed.

Yeah, they got lucky.

I came prepared with a book and a fresh bottle of water. Never got to either of them because these people were ever-so-efficient. I was checked in, moved to a changing area and taken in to "the room" within minutes of my arrival. How fortunate for me. So I go in to this room and make small talk with the technician, all the while thinking "This woman is going to traumatize my boobs!" And you know what? She kind of did. I mean, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, it sucked. In a big way. And I don't think "the girls" have ever been quite so man-handled. Usually I require a nice drink or perhaps dinner out before someone has at them! It was awkward, to say the least.

In the end, it was relatively quick. My collar bone hurts more than anything. It kind of got mashed in there for the side shots and I'm still a bit uncomfortable. But I had my comfort food (see earlier post) and I'm okay. Hopefully the results will be fine and I won't have to deal with this again for another two to three years.

God willing.

No comments: