Saturday, April 25, 2009

And then there were two...

So, weird day today. Nick went to Kings Dominion with his girlfriend, her sister and the sister's boyfriend. It is three hours away. In another state. I spent a large portion of the morning on the verge of tears. Why? I mean, I KNOW the boy is seventeen and all but all I could think was that if - God forbid - something happened, I was far away. Three hours, 180 miles away. That is a lot. This is the first time he has travelled that far without parental supervision. It was all very emotional for me. If anything truly would have happened, he would have been with the girl that he loves, but his mom would not be there. Very draining on me.

To help me out a little, Frank took Michael and a friend to the movies. It was wonderful to have the house to myself for a little while. The plan was to do laundry, write my talk for MOPS that I am giving on Tuesday, and just generally take care of business around here. What did I actually do? I listened to my MP3 player for about an hour - cranked up with 80's rock - and then read for an hour. About 15 minutes before Frank walked in the door, I actually sat down and began to write. He doesn't know that part. I was hunched over the keyboard looking all weary and he was like "Hey, how's it going?" to which I responded "I seem to have writer's block." He bought it. I don't feel good about it, but he bought it.

Now we have two 9-year olds here running around, thoroughly giddy at having seen "Monsters Vs. Aliens". They played video games and quoted the movie for two hours. When the parents came to pick their son up, it was decided (by the 9 year olds) that Michael would go to their house for a sleepover!


Can I just say that this is Michael's first official sleep over at a friend's house. I had no time to prepare for it. One minute he's dancing around doing the robot (why? no one knows) and the next minute he has his pillow and is running out the door!! It all happened in the blink of an eye and once the door was closed Frank and I just stood there and looked at each other like "What just happened here?"





Talk about a moment. There has never been a night like this. Well, maybe not 'never' but it's been a really, really, really long time. We went out to dinner, we went to Sam Ash to buy drum sticks, we went to Comp USA to check out laptops, we went to Target and bought WONDERFULLY sinful Egyptian cotton 500 thread count sheets! I am almost giddy about going to sleep tonight!

So here I am at 10:15 on a Saturday night. No worries from Michael (praise the Lord!), Nick just called to say that they just left the park and he will be home around 1 a.m. and Frank and I are just chillin and enjoying the quiet.

Yea for the quiet!

No comments: