CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 20, 2009

It Just Makes Me Sad...

Okay so we have about 6 weeks before the closing of the bookstore. We have everything in the store on sale, fixtures are moving out of here, we are at about 1/3 of what we used to be. While that in itself is enough to make me sad, there is more.

Sigh.

I've worked in retail for many, many years. In big clothing stores mostly. In those settings, you are used to theft/shrinkage. I did not think it possible in a Christian book store. I mean, what kind of low-life individual do you have to be to STEAL from the Christian book store? I had one customer come in who wanted to get what was left of her consignment and there were TWENTY ONE pieces missing!!! Twenty one! That is HUGE! I've dealt with the sneaky kids stealing candy or soda but to walk out of the store with books that you have not paid for is disgusting. Do people not realize that every time you STEAL something - and yes, I'm saying STEAL and not TAKE - you are stealing not only that item(s) but you are stealing somebody's livelihood. Somebody's job. Somebody's hard, earned money. Shame on you!

I really thought that our final weeks in business were going to be sad but honestly, right now they are just filled with disgust for what we are finding. I really wish that this was not the reality. If a business closes because of the rotten economy, then that is one thing but to be hit in the face with this kind of thievery is just unacceptable to me.

If you are a small business owner reading this, invest in some heavy duty surveillance equipment because I guess we all need it. Save you business and apparently, trust no one.

What a sad statement about our fellow man.

No comments: