CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The biggest loser in the real world

I am not a big fan of reality TV but there are a few shows that I do watch: Amazing Race and The Biggest Loser. I love Amazing Race because I love the whole geography aspect and what you learn about different cultures. I don't like when they make contestants eat nasty food and then you have to watch them vomit. That's just uncalled for. And disgusting. The Biggest Loser...well, I just don't know what it is about that show but it does motivate me. I am forever yo-yoing with my weight and have my whole life. I have never gotten to the stage that the show's contestant's are at but just watching people get that pumped up about working out motivates me. I would NOT want some stick-thin trainer yelling in my face, though. I'd have to hit them.

So last night I'm watching the Biggest Loser and got out my Gazelle. I Gazelled for 30 minutes during the show and did about 15 minutes of other exercises. I felt good. The local news here was predicting snow for today. Not much, but a couple of inches and again, here in the South that means that everything will close down. Now while I really did NOT want a snow day, I gave myself a bit of a challenge that I wanted to try should I be at home. The contestants on that show work out for something like 8 hours a day. Who WOULDN'T lose weight that way!! I can't imagine spending a whole day exercising but I was going to try it today. I have a Walk Away the Pounds DVD that has a great 2 mile walk, I have my Gazelle and I have my Power 90 DVD. If I did all of those things, I'd still only get in about 2 hours and 15 minutes worth of exercise. I'd have to repeat them all the live long day and I've got to tell you, I may be around half the size of the average Biggest Loser contestant, but I do NOT have the stamina for that kind of workout! I think the majority of people in America do NOT have the stamina for that kind of workout!

I give those people credit. They are certainly working hard; harder than most of us will ever attempt. It makes me feel whimpy when I can't even get it together for a stupid two mile walk with weights when I'm watching someone who is 300 pounds carry another 300 pound contestant on their back!! I don't even know how I look at myself sometimes!

How motivated are you to move around this week? What do these people do once the show is over and they are back at home, back at work and cannot workout for 8 hours a day? This show is a great tool but for those of us with weight problems, it is a lifelong commitment and rather than teaching rapid weight loss with personal chefs and personal trainers on hand 24/7, maybe they need to make this reality show a little bit more reality based!

That's my soapbox for today. I'm meeting a friend to go walking tonight. We'll see if I make it through the whole thing with a good attitude - or if we try to carry eachother around at any one point!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Weight loss is a struggle for many. I too have battled my weight, I didn't get motivated until my health was effected so I applaud you for doing it before you "have" to. But, looking at things you can't do because of your weight that you want to do could be a good motivator. For me it was being able to go shopping for atractive clothes in my size without freaking out and leaving the store in tears. Set a goal and the work to that, and then set a new one. Best of luck to your New Life of healthiness and happiness.