CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 5, 2009

What Can You Do?

As many of you remember, my grandmother passed away in January. She had donated her body to the program at a local university. She was excited to do it and it was something that we all respected.

Upon entering this agreement, you (The family) are told that you will receive your loved ones cremated remains in approximately one year. Okay, fine. My mom comes home from work the other day to find a "Final Delivery Notice" in her mailbox from the post office. She had never received any other notifications so was unsure what this was in regards to. Well after a trip to the post office, it turns out that it is Grandma's remains!! What the hell???

The post office claims that it's first delivery attempt was September 12th. Yes, SEPTEMBER!! It is now DECEMBER!! Where were these other notifications? No one knows! So along those lines, I am curious as to how this whole program of sorts is even run. I mean, shouldn't the University follow up with this sort of thing? Shouldn't the crematorium follow up with the family or at least notify them that they are releasing (mailing) the ashes out and to be looking for them? At this point, I'm like "Is this even Grandma?" I mean, how can I trust a program that is run so poorly? Plus, where is the post office's responsibility in all of this? How can you claim "Final Notice" when there is no record of a first or second notice?

Mom was pretty upset and I can't say that I blame her! This is her mother! I think that it is a disgrace that my sweet little grandma wanted to do something good to help the field of science and that her remains were treated with such disregard.

So what do you do? Do you have any recourse? I suggested going to one of the local TV stations that have a "Troubleshooter" type thing and getting the story out there. As of right now, I don't know what is going to happen but I will keep you posted.

*Today's Examiner.com article is on holiday events at the library. You can read about it HERE. Thanks!*

6 comments:

Stacy Uncorked said...

That's just so wrong on so many levels. And it really annoys me when I get a 'final notice' from the post office when there were no prior notices for the one I did get to be 'final'. Usually that's a result of our lazy mail carrier who doesn't like doing her job. But I digress.

Definitely take it to your local news - obviously that program or the University need to be investigated. How awful for your mom to get the final notice to discover it's her mom's remains potentially going to be discarded or returned. Just a lack of respect all around. ((HUGZ!!))

VisibleSoulPhotography said...

They MAILED your grandmother? Somehow that just seems so wrong to me!

Glad your mom received the last notice. That would have really been sad.

Frugal Vicki said...

Wow! That is just so wrong. Kind of seems to me that something like that would require follow up of some sort. Interesting it went through the post office as well.
Is there a contact name and number at the university?
I agree with Stacy on taking it to the local news. They may be able to do more digging than you can do.

Sherri said...

Oh my gosh! I would have been sooo upset! My heart just dropped reading this. I would definitely let someone know what happened

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

That's just horrible! I would definitely try to get gthe word out about what happened.

A.Marie said...

Oh, I was sick when I read this. How awful for your family! That University should definitely get thrown in the spotlight over this. Someone needs to be held responsible for this lack of respect. Your Grandmother did this voluntarily, and her efforts should not go unnoticed. Call the TV station and tell them to investigate. Then, the Post Office needs to be held accountable, because, where was the 1st or 2nd notice?

Good Luck and sending you a big HUG! :)