CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Don't LIke Getting Older...

Okay, so I'm 41 today. It's not as fun or as magical as last year's birthday hooplah. I just feel older. Sigh. Remember when you were a kid and birthday's were a HUGE deal? That's what I want. I want to just play and be silly and have people around me doing the same thing. I don't think it's going to happen. So in honor of it being my birthday and wanting to be a kid again, I hereby quit being an adult and I thank you, Beeg, for sharing this one with me!

To Whom It May Concern:
I hereby officially tender my resignation as an adult.
I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of a 6 year old again.
I want to go to McDonald's and think it's a four star restaurant.
I want to think M & M's are better than money, because you can eat them.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.
I want to play kickball during recess and paint with watercolors in art.
I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple.
When all you knew were colors, addition and simple nursery rhymes,
but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.
When all you knew was to be happy because you didn't know all the things that should make you worried and upset.
I want to think that the world is fair.
That everyone in it is honest and good.

I want to believe that anything is possible.
Somewhere along the way I learned too much.
I learned of nuclear weapons, war, prejudice, starvation and abused children.
I learned of lies, unhappy marriages, suffering, illness, pain and death.
I learned of a world where children knew how to kill...and did.

What happened to the time when we thought that everyone would live forever, because we didn't grasp the concept of death?
When we thought the worst thing in the world was if someone took the jump rope from us or picked us last for kickball?
I want to be oblivious to the complexity of life and be overly excited by little things once again.
I want to return to the days when reading was fun and music was clean.
When television was used to report the news or for family entertainment and not to promote sex, violence and deceit.

I would spend my afternoons climbing trees and riding my bike.
I didn't worry about time, bills or where I was going to find the money to fix my car.
I used to wonder what I was going to do or be when I grew up, not worry about what I would do if it didn't work out.
I want to live simple again.

I don't want my day to consist of:
computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness and the loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of:
smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind and making angels in the snow.

So...here's my checkbook and my car-keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements.
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, 'cause,

"Tag! You're it."

*Today's Examiner.com article is on the Raleigh City Museum. You can read about it HERE. Thanks!*

14 comments:

carol at A Second Cup said...

Me too! Happy Birthday

Lola said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

A Lil Enchanted said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STACE!!!!

Yes birthdays do suck when you're grown up... and especially when you're grown up and broke. This year I got to renew the tag for my van for my birthday... yeah me.

I want to resign too... to be a kid again would be so awesome... I dunno why I was in such a hurry to grow up.

I hope you manage to have a wonderful birthday :)

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

jenn said...

Happy birthday Stacey! I hope you are having a wonderful, fun filled day!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Thanks for being one of my top 10 droppers :-) I posted a "thank you" link back on my blog.

Lynne said...

Since you're no longer an adult, I think you need to have a super birthday celebration, just like when you were a kid!
Happy Birthday !

Becki said...

Such true words! Happy Birthday :) Maybe you can start counting backward instead?

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, pretty lady! By the way, I've got a few years on you. I turned 52 a week ago last Tuesday.

Sara Katt said...

Happy Birthday!
Wow, are you really 41? Boy, if you were one of my kind ("the pointy-earred people") you would already be dead by now! We only get to live about 15-20 years and that's actually longer than length of time that dogs usually live. They only live about ten years.
I'm going to ask my mommie how old she is. I am wondering if she is as old as you...
Anyway... Take heart, eat some cake! Hope that something good will happen to you to cheer you up, and make you see possibilities instead of loss. Hope you get a real nice birthday present.
Purrs,
Sara Cat

P.S.
I'm blogging again after taking time off to help Anna with her blog for the NaBloPoMo-challenge in November. Anna had a ww-post yesterday at:
http://annasadornments.blogspot.com

Karen said...

I agree with wanting the simplicity of being a child. Such a life. Happy Birthday!

Grampy said...

Hi Stace.Happy belated birthday. You are on the right path.Maybe a I am no longer an adult club would be good.
Hope you had a happy birthday.

A.Marie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I agree...I want to be a kid again, if only for a day!

Okay...gotcha! You're it!

And, if you really wanna be a kid again, eat a Big Mac, fries, and a large shake and call it a meal! LOL

Petula said...

I love this post. Very cool. Think if we all resign then it'll catch on and they can pass a bill to let those who want to resign be adopted by some rich people who can afford grown children?

Frugal Vicki said...

I love that! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!