CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

This is Why I Don't Watch Award Shows and Why I Regret It the Next Day!

Okay, I'm old. I'm 40. I don't watch MTV anymore. I have no idea who 99.9999% of the music artists even are anymore so there was little to no appeal to watching the MTV Video Music Awards last night and so I didn't.

Then I woke up this morning and turned on my computer.

What in the WORLD???

The first thing I come across is Janet Jackson's opening number video. I mean, it was okay, I was not blown away. I guess I had something else pictured in my mind. One web-site compared it to a Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole type of thing. She just performed in front of a video of Michael that they did together years ago (she was edited out of the video since she was performing live). Cute but not mind blowing.

Further along in the news was a clip of Madonna's opening of the show where she did a six minute dialogue about Michael Jackson. Although for the first minute or so, it was a comparison of her and him and my first thought was "Really? You're going to make this about you?" But she did finally get to the point and the speech was actually very good. The work on her now smooth face, however, did not look so good. Her face looked rather puffy.

And then the be-all, end-all moment of the night?? Kanye West jumps up on the stage in the middle of sweet little Taylor Swift's VERY emotional acceptance speech for "Best Female Video", takes the mike from her hands and announces that Beyonce had the best female video EVER!! Then he hands the mike back to a now speechless Taylor Swift.

You know, it's not the first time this dirtbag has done something like this. I know it's good publicity for someone but how DARE he ruin someone's moment! How dare he steel the spotlight like that. I mean, she will forever look back on this moment, which she was in the middle of sharing how it was a lifelong dream and as a country singer she never thought she'd actually WIN one of these, and it will be RUINED because of this man. The crazy, Italian, New Yorker in me has a litany of colorful words that I'd like to use here but I will not. I know that the media will take care of shaming this man - if even just a little.

And for all the hooplah, I still bet it would have been better to watch it all happen live....

11 comments:

Reel Advice said...

Was Kanye West on something or maybe he is just crazy!

No one normal would do what he did to Taylor Swift.

I am not a fan of Taylor but hey, what Kanye did just crossed the line.

jenn said...

I missed it too...I am a country fan, and don't know half the artists that are on MTV either. That is why I prefer my kids listen to country music...that would never happen at the CMA's.

Roo said...

And I actually felt sorry for Beyonce as well. She'd just lost the award and then had to sit there while Kanye made a fool of himself in her name.

Lenox Knits said...

Great wrap up. I didn't watch either. I really feel bad for Taylor Swift. She seems like a sweet kid who has some real talent. Kanye should be ashamed of himself and he really needs to get better handlers.

Unknown said...

i saw that last night, and was totally appalled! to start off with, i didn't like that dude who was hosting the show and then when kanye got up on stage, that was it for me. i quickly changed the channel.

Petula said...

I've seen little mentions here and there (on FB and such) about some kerfuffle, but didn't click through so I had to read your post. Thanks for the recap and yes, you're right. He was so out of line.

BTW: I don't watch videos or the awards either. But, hey!, I'm not old. I'm just 40 and a week shy of 41. :P LOL.

Anne said...

I think Kanye West is a wack job so I kind of ignore everything he says and does. I do feel badly for Taylor Swift, what an awful position to be in. She definitely deserved better.

Grampy said...

I believe the man is completely out of his mind. Some day he will get what is coming to him.
I don't watch the Awards Shows either. But everyone knows West

Staci at Just Bloggled said...

I missed it live, too, because I was watching Drop Dead Diva & the season finale of Design Star. I used to never miss the MTV Video or Movie Awards. Now I feel about them like I do Gossip Girl; I'm just too old (I'm 33). I turned on TweetDeck last night & saw all these VMA & Kanye West tweets. I wanted to know what I missed so I went online and found out. I got to watch it when the show repeated around 11:30. It still sucked what he did--Taylor is, for all intents & purposes still a kid--but it wasn't quite as shocking as I imagine it was seeing it alive because I knew it was coming.

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

I watched the highlights too. I felt so sorry for Taylor. She didn't know how to react. He stole her moment.

I thought it was very honorable of Beyonce to let Taylor talk during her acceptance speech. Well done Beyonce.

Frugal Vicki said...

awww, stace, you followed me! Now I feel like one of the cool kids! (I am JUST KIDDING! You don't have to stop following, I promise I'm not crazy!)