CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's Your Money to NOT do as You Wish With...

Back when Frank and I first started dating, he did not have a car. He lived on his own but without transportation. It was a little weird but those were the circumstances. He asked his dad to co-sign a loan for him to get a vehicle with and his dad agreed IF Frank bought a vehicle that his dad picked. This caused great strife because it was Frank who was going to be paying the loan AND having to drive and maintain the car! Frank eventually won but I am amazed that as life has progressed how that attitude has now come in to play in many other areas.

I shop at Staples. I have a rewards card. I got a certificate in the mail for $30. Yeah, me, right? No. I went to Staples to purchase a gift card and was told that I could not use the certificate for gift cards. Um, it's MY money that I earned, why can't I? Okay, on to store number two. I went to a used book store today to trade in some old books. I opted for store credit. This place was huge and sold not only books but movies, CD's, DVD's, VHS', vinyl records, video games, video game systems, and iPods. I was loving it. So they go through my books and give me my store credit and then are like "But you can't use it on video games, game systems, game hardware or general 'stuff'". So basically I can use it on Books. That's it.

FINE.

Years ago we went to purchase Nick a Playstation 2 for Christmas. We went to a small store that only did video games and they refused to sell us the system unless we purchased TWO additional games. When did this become the norm? What happened to making a sale? What happened to giving the customer what they wanted? In a time where all we hear about is how bad the economy is and how people are not spending, here are places that are turning away sales because of what? NO ONE KNOWS!

I'm still confused.

*Today's Examiner.com article is on no snow days while homeschooling. You can read about it HERE. Thanks!*

4 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

I know exactly what you mean. I don't know if it is the same where you are but when you buy gift vouchers here in the uk, if you dont spend the exact amount of the value you don't get the change.

That is LUDICROUS!

I have only found your blog by the way and i stole your Holidays meme.

Great read!

Shelly said...

I don't know about the store stuff. It all seems pretty crazy to me. Another good reason to shop online.

My in-laws are similar to yours. They love to buy us stuff but always want the final say. I gave up years ago, because I was apparently ungrateful. Now when they want to buy us an appliance and ask me to go shopping with them I tell them what ever they pick out will be fine. My MIL thinks I'm crazy but I'm just done discussing which dryer is better...for me. I'll pick one and then they try to talk me outta it. It's been going on since before we got married and I only recently realized why I would never go shopping with my MIL. Only took 10 years, lol.

Mom said...

They refused to sell you the system unless you purchased games?

Please tell me you went somewhere else to buy that system...

Petula said...

Yea, I've noticed stipulations like this as well and find it absolutely ludicrous how they force sales in certain areas and directions. With, like you said, your money and your savings. Crazy.