CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Computer Craziness - Part 2

Okay, I know this was supposed to be the Christmas post, but it's not. Sort of. Sorry. Anyway, the day before Christmas Eve Frank told me that he really wanted to buy me a laptop. He knew, though, that I would have to pick it out for myself because I was the only one who was going to be using it. This job that he is doing was going to pay well and so it was decided that we would get the laptop after Christmas. Yea!

On Christmas Eve he worked. When he dropped his friend who works with him off, the guy's wife came out to wish him a Merry Christmas and asked if he wanted to take my laptop home with him. He was stumped - and had no idea what she was talking about. It turns out like six months ago, she had gotten a really, really, REALLY good deal on a used laptop. I was envious, I admit. Well, for Christmas she got a new laptop and so was passing on her used one to me! Yea, again!

So Frank came home not knowing what to do. He sits me down and is like "Look, I have no idea if this thing can do what you want it to do and I know I promised you a new one and I don't know what to do!" I felt bad for him, I really did. So I told him to wrap it up and put it under the tree and I'll play around with it in the morning. It is old. It's VERY basic and after talking to two tech guys (one at Staples and one at CompUSA) it seems that even if I upgraded this laptop as far as it can go, it is still going to be slow and not capable of doing a lot of stuff. Now, I don't NEED it to do a lot of stuff but I would like to be able to do what I need to efficiently.

And honestly, I really, really, really, REALLY want a new shiny one! How horrible am I??? I have new laptop envy and it makes me feel like crap! Now I don't know what to do.

I'm so confused!!!

*Today's Examiner.com article is on Getting your teen to read. You can read about it HERE. Thanks!*

8 comments:

carol at A Second Cup said...

Get the new one. keep the old one for when the kids want to use your new one.

Lola said...

If you can afford the new one, go for it. I bought mine about 8 months after Anastasia bought hers. Mine is smokin' hot. Her's, not so much. In fact hers has to go in because it's got software/virus issues and she can't get into her profile. Anyway, mine is an HP and set me back about $499. I wasn't thrilled with spending that much, but it's got the bigger 17" screen and it's fast.

Go Ask Katie said...

New, new, new, get the new one! ( if it's in your budget.) Save the old one, use it for games or photos, or play time. Okay, so now I'm envious, giggle, I'd like a laptop too.

A.Marie said...

You know what they say about the New Year...Out with the OLD, In with the NEW!

Go for the new one; you won't regret it. Keep the old one, though. You never know; it might come in handy. Or, donate it to someone who justs wants the bare-basic computer and doesn't care about speed and "fancy" upgrades! :)

Unknown said...

Dear I'm So Confused,
Go donate that old laptop to some charity that helps to take care of the poor, which will make you feel really good about yourself. Then follow your previous plan and go buy yourself a bright and shiny new one, which will make you feel even better! If you need anymore advice, just fill out the appropriate forms and enclose a very generous donation. My advice is extremely valuable--you know.

Grampy said...

You have to get the new one.Be careful the one you buy is set up for the things you want it to do.
Merry Christmas to you.

Roo said...

Go for the new one while you can. The used one might not hold up as long as you'd like and when it dies you may not be in a position to get the new one. Keep the used one for backup(didn't you experience a crash not so long ago?). I think you'll be happier this way. I recommend Best Buy...my sis got an really good HP there a couple of months ago. Have fun!!!!

thepsychobabble said...

I guess it would depend on whether or not you can really afford one right now. If you can, then go ahead, and let one of the kids use it, maybe. Or contact a charity (or maybe a tech school counselor) in your area and see if they know someone who could use a basic laptop.

If it would be a stretch for the budget, then keep the basic one, and set aside a little money out of every paycheck until you can afford it.