CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do you "Defriend"?

So I read an interesting little article on BlogHer today titled "Defriending on Facebook".  I was instantly interested because lately there has been someone that I wanted to "defriend" but I think that there could be ramifications if I do.

In the article, the writer talks about defriending a  Facebook friend because though they were close friends at one time, now when she sees this person actually "in" person, they don't acknowledge her.  Interesting.  I think Facebook is a great way to reconnect with people that you really are interested in being friends with from your past but I think we can get caught up in friend requesting people that we are only sort of interested in or because we are just plain curious as to what they turned out to be like in life.

I have numerous Facebook friends that fall in to that category.


So back to my defriending.  I am FB friends with someone who was a good friend for a time, but we've not talked in more than a year, didn't part on the best of terms and to be honest, the pictures that she posts sort of creep me out.  Seriously, when I see one of her pictures, I tend to refresh my page or do whatever possible to get it out of my field of vision.  So why don't I just do it?  Because we have mutual friends.


I certainly don't want to be in one of those awkward conversations where someone will say, "So, you defriended so-and-so...".  Don't think it will happen?  Trust me, it does.  I've had several conversations with people who have been in similar situations and have been questioned (or interrogated) about their defriending.  I really don't want to deal with that but then again, this woman's pictures creep me out.  They're a weird family and I feel better just not associating with them.


So...do you defriend or grin and bear it?

 

3 comments:

Janiss said...

You can always just hide, or "unsubscribe" them from your feed. Maybe that's the coward's way out, but it'll probably be less uncomfortable in the long run. The only person I've unfriended was someone I didn't know personally and the "friends" we had in common were people I really didn't know either! The couple of IRL friends I have that I don't want to see in my newsfeed every day for various reasons, I just unsubscribe to. That way, if I ever want to see what they're up to, I can always go directly to their page and look.

Roo said...

I've got that situation going on too. My Solution? HIDE THEM. They can still see you and your posts as well as comment, but you don't have to look at their posts unless you really want to. To do that you have to go to their page.

I've got family members that I've done that with. One cousin is just too much to take but she is family...so I just hid her.

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

You can "unsubscribe" or you can choose not to see their feed...or you can un-friend them - do you really think they care?