CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 9, 2011

"Slow Love" is a slow read!

As someone who lived through getting laid off and then struggling for two years with being unemployed, I found myself looking forward to reading "Slow Love: How I Lost my Job, Put on my Pajamas, and Found Happiness" by Dominique Browning.

Thank God I didn't pick this book up WHILE I was unemployed.  It annoyed me now, I think back then, while I was in the throws of unemployment, I quite possibly would have been livid.  

The majority of the population, when hit with unemployment, don't have the luxuries that this woman had: she was financially secure, she had a second home to sell to help with the loss of her income.  Most of us have two weeks worth of savings and then we're sunk.  She wasn't a particularly likable person.  She carried on an affair for years with a married man.  That is a big "ICK" in my book.

There were times, particularly in the beginning of the book when I thought that I was totally going to relate to her story, but as time went on, it just bugged me because even in this down time of the author's life, I don't think she had a clue what living in the "real" world mean.

You can decide for yourself if this book is for you by reading other reviews at BlogHer . Personally, I will find my happiness elsewhere. 

No comments: