CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 25, 2010

Would you allow it?

Okay, so first let me say that I HATE Halloween.  Always have.  Always will.  When Nick was little, he wasn't all that impressed with it and so for several years, on Halloween, we would rent a movie, go out to dinner, something fun to do while everyone was out trick-or-treating.  

Michael LIKES Halloween.

A lot.

Last month when the costumes first came out int he stores, we went and looked to see what was available and nothing seemed to thrill him.  As the weeks passed by, we went out and still, nothing appealed.  All of a sudden it's like "Oh, my gosh!  It's almost Halloween!" and so today we went out to find a costume.  

No.  Such.  Luck.  Except...Jason.  Yes, Jason from "Friday the 13th".  I'm sorry, but NO.  Not going to happen.  Now Michael's pissed, we have no costume and Frank is mad at me because I am "sabotaging" Halloween.  Really?  I don't think that a TEN YEAR OLD needs to dress up like a freaky murderer from a series of horror films.  I'm not on board with it, I don't like it and quite honestly, I refuse to take him out dressed like that.

So what do you say parents?  Would you let your ten year old dress like Jason?

5 comments:

jenn said...

I would, but I love Halloween and scary movies. I also think it is a boy thing to be the horror movie characters. To me, it's just fun.

Ruth said...

I don't think I would, but then again when my son was that age he was obsessed with Power Rangers. The last thing we need in this world is more freaky violent stuff like that.

I think it would be a great idea to encourage his creativity and have him think up something original that you can help him create. That way you're not "sabotaging Halloween", you're just taking some of the commericality out of it and (IMO) making it more fun in the process.

Sheila Sultani said...

If your kid is anything like all three of mine, the mask stays on for about 5 minutes. Last year the scream mask was was everywhere - these costumes are so common place no one thinks twice about seeing a little shorty dressed as Jason, it's kind of funny. I don't think this is a battle I'd choose to fight with my kid. With a parents luck that would be the only thing the kid remembers about Halloween when he gets older is the time he wasn't allowed to wear what he wanted. If you don't want to be seen with him get his dad or big brother to take him out.

Jennifer is Always Sick said...

I don't know about a 10 year old. That's a good question. My oldest is 5, so I don't know what to expect in 5 years. But honestly, that's your child and your call, although it seems your husband disagrees.

My boys are going as an astronaut and a dinosaur. They don't like the scary stuff yet.

Sharkbytes said...

I really dislike what Halloween has become. I'm with you all the way here.