CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

24 Hours til Unemployment...

You know, as much as you KNOW a day is coming, sometimes you just don't think it's every going to come. When it's something fun like a vacation, time seems to stand still, but when you are waiting for something that is pretty icky to happen, well, time slows down and you just keep hoping that something is going to happen to change the circumstances.

Nothing happened.

Tomorrow is my last day at work.

Four years and now it's over.

Don't get me wrong, I am SO READY for tomorrow to come. This has been a very long good-bye. There was so much to do and I found myself lying awake at night thinking of all of the things that had to get done - and it's not even my store! I'm going to miss seeing my friends on a daily basis. I think it's going to be hard for us to remember to make the time to get together. I'm going to miss the kids - even though there were days that they made me CRAZY!! And you KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Closing a business is a funny thing - people react weird. We were a small bookstore that dealt with new and used books. So we've stacked all of the used books to give back to their consignor's and on top of each pile is a piece of paper with the consignor's name on it. Do you have any idea how many people have come in and tried to shop out of those piles?? It's like the paper with the name on it isn't even there!! You have people who are still hemming and hawing over books that are 90% off! Really? JUST BUY IT!!! If you get it home and it's NOT what you wanted, you've paid ninety seven cents for it! You can sell it on Craigslist for like $20!

My attitude is really bad right now because I am just ready to be done. Like I said, it's been a long process and it's been depressing. Tomorrow we get to go in for the last time and clean like little tornadoes. Fun, fun, fun. I wonder what it's going to feel like on Monday when I don't have to go to work? I think it will be a novel idea for like a week and then it's all going to hit me - I have no job and no place to go.

Ick, how sad and depressing am I?

2 comments:

A.Marie said...

Oh Man, I feel your pain! When I decided to "retire" and be a stay at home mom, it was a really bummy feeling. But, then, I got so busy that I totally forgot why I was bummed in the first place. Now I work on a volunteer basis at our small town's not-for-profit thrift store, and I really like it. I like to get out and meet new people, and it makes me appreciate my being at home that much more. Does that make sense?? I think that we, as women, feel that we are defined by where we work; it gives a sense of belonging. Just enjoy this period of time, rest up, and then you'll be ready to "hit the pavement" and join the job hunt! :)

Nani said...

I have been thinking about you all day today and just wanted to check in on you and see how your doing. Here's to a wonderful new road that lies ahead for you and your family - with God leading the way!!!

”‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’” (Jeremiah 29:11-13, NIV)