CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Writer's Block

So this is the first time that I am freely writing with a self-imposed deadline.  No, not this blog, my new book.  I'm used to the frenzy that goes with writing for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) but I know that the deadline there (30 days) is just a somewhat meaningless deadline.  That sounds awful, I know, but at the end of those 30 days, if I don't hit the 50,000 word mark there's no consequences except I don't get the neat internet badge or the certificate to print out.  No harm, no foul.

I have a deadline of January 31st to finish this new book because I want to have a month to do edits so that I can release it for March 1st.  I want to have time to build up the buzz about it starting several weeks BEFORE the release.  I have all good intentions but my brain and my life are just not cooperating with me.

I thought that one of the benefits of being an indie writer was having some freedom but that only works if I allow myself to have it and having it, in my world, makes me lazy.  Even now I feel a little bit lackadaisical about the whole thing.  I do really well on a time crunch but it stresses me out.  Then again, I'm stressing right now and we're not at critical mass yet.

Sigh.

So the book is essentially worked out in my head, it's getting it on to the screen that is making me crazy.  I sit down to write and I am so easily distracted by anything and everything that I want to smack myself!  I'll play solitaire on Facebook, I'll offer to make Frank and Michael dessert - anything to keep me from writing!  

WHY????

So here's the thing, I have the blurb, I'm working on the cover design, I'm at about the mid-way point in the story.  In the next couple of weeks I have to move Nick to school, have Frank and Michael's birthdays and a party for Michael all while working a full-time job and being a wife and mom.  I have no idea how to do it!

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I'm trying to keep "The Christmas Cottage" in the top 50 in Women's Fiction on Amazon until the end of the month.  Will you help?  Please go to the Amazon page for it (HERE) and click "LIKE".  Please!  

And on a somewhat related note, a cool thing happened today, I opened my email inbox and there was an email from Amazon and in the subject line it said "New and Similar to "The Christmas Cottage" by Samantha Chase"!  I thought that was WAY cool!

Being a writer can be so much fun when I let it...

No comments: