CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

All I want is a good night's sleep...dang it!

I've heard that it isn't a good thing to let yourself sleep late on the weekends to make up for having to get up early during the week for work or school.  Honestly, I just want a good night's sleep.

My brain goes a million miles an hour when I try to go to sleep.  I am a very deep sleeper until around three in the morning.  Then?  All bets are off.  Pretty much the slightest noise will wake me up and keep me up because then, my brain starts going again. 

I have a night-time cocktail that helps me go to sleep.  Two Melatonin, three Advil and one Benedryl.  I should pretty much be in a coma for a good eight hours, but am I?  heck no!  If Frank is snoring, I am awake.  My fan which is usually my savior to block out the noise, now is making weird noises of it's own that keep me awake.  

What is it like to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep without any assistance?  This is what I want to know.   Once, I was staying at my sister's and told her I was having trouble sleeping.  She gave me an Ambien.  It took TWO HOURS for it to kick in and when it did?  No lie, I was sitting on the couch having a bowl of vanilla ice cream and I literally fell off the couch on to my face!  Luckily Frank was sitting next to me and grabbed the ice cream before it hit the floor too.  Priorities, people. 

Two years later, I'm with my sister again and the topic of sleep comes up again and she's like "Okay, take the Ambien and we'll watch a movie.  This way you know you have some time before it's going to hit."  Good plan, right?  Wrong.  THAT time it hit in less than ten minutes!  We were sitting and watching the Sex and the City movie and I didn't even make it through the opening credits!  She and my mom had to CARRY ME to bed!  Now there's a picture for you!

So I'm off to pop my nighty-night meds so that i can sleep for around four hours.  I am so NOT living the dream!

5 comments:

Lin said...

Why the meds?? Do you have insomnia? Does your diet or exercise affect it? I've never had Ambien--what is in that stuff???!

Mhar's Display said...

Hi Stace,
Try using an aroma therapy lotion at bedtime.

marms

Gary Anderson said...

L thianine is concentrated form of tea leaves. Positive mood has a nightime formula that has melatonin in the correct amount and l thianine. My daughter likes this.

Amy Lilley Designs said...

I have trouble sleeping as well..the melatonin works most of the time..not always...I have recently brought a lavender sheet spray which really helps ALOT...and you can give a spritz or 2 as the night goes...you might want to try earplugs...I would be totally lost w.out them!!!

Petula said...

Totally understand! I had my sleeping pills (the ones that used to knock me out cold within 20 minutes) reduced so I wouldn't be so drowsy in the morning now it barely keeps me asleep. I wake up several times and all kinds of things are going on. The not sleeping thing is so annoying. When I read your title I totally knew I would understand. From now on please take the Ambien in bed. LOL... read until you fall asleep.

Add the aromatherapy lotion, get a new fan or white noise machine when you can, take a hot shower and stick to the same routine every night with the pills. :-)