CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie..."

Sorry, but that title is a quote from a very funny episode of "Just Shoot Me". Nick reminded me of it yesterday while I cooked a couple of meals for a friend. Actually, I used to do a little catering on the side and this gal approached me about making meals for her family while she was going to be out of the country for two weeks. I readily agreed and yesterday found me chained to the kitchen - but in a good way.

I pretty much got right to it as soon as the alarm went off in the morning. I had to make sauce because I was going to be making baked ziti and I was also making chicken pot pie. Both of these meals had to feed 8 people. Now, being Italian, I make Italian food a lot, so there was no way that I was going to make extra of that for us for dinner. That left the pot pie.

OH...
MY...
GOD...

It was so darn good!! I had completely forgotten how much I LOVE a pot pie. I used part of the pot pie recipe that I had gotten off of a Bisquick box years ago - just for the crust. The filling is all mine and it was so good. Seriously, so good that it healed Frank's persistent headache and made my PMS symptom's leave for a while. So it's magical, too!

What makes it so yummy? What can I possibly do that makes it magical? No, I'm not going to say the secret ingredient is love (even though it is), but I will give you the recipe.

1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breast
1 Bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 Cup of shredded Monterey Jack & Colby Cheese
2 Cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion finely minced (use the food processor)
1 Heaping tablespoon of minced or chopped garlic
1 Cup of flour seasoned to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground red pepper
2 Cups of Bisquick Mix
1 Cup of Milk
2 eggs
1/2 stick of butter

Okay, cut your chicken in to 1-2 inch squares and coat with the seasoned flour. Melt the butter in a deep skillet with the minced garlic and onion until they start to brown, then add the chicken. Cook chicken until all pieces are browned and cooked almost completely through.

In a large bowl, put the mixed vegetables, cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom soup. When the chicken is done, add it to the bowl and mix together well so that the cream of mushroom soup has coated everything. Pour mixture in to a well greased 9x13 baking dish.

In another bowl mix together the Bisquick, milk and eggs and pour over the chicken and vegetable mixture. Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is firm and browned.

Serve and enjoy. This is actually even better in the winter time but I'll tell you what, I hate left overs and I ate this today for lunch too! So, so good...

Pyzam Glitter Text Maker



6 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh yummy, yummy, yummy to my tummy. I am going to making this this weekend when it's 65 and rainy here. Looks like a great comfort food.

Unknown said...

oh yay, a little side job for you! that actually sounds like fun to do if you like to cook. your recipe sounds delicious stace!

have a wonderful day my friend!

A Lil Enchanted said...

Mmmmm.... sounds delicious Stace!

A Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~

A.Marie said...

Oh.My.Goodness!!! That sounds incredible! I love, love, love chicken pot pie, and your recipe sounds very easy and yummy!

Not only that, but it is *magical* also...I wonder if it'll cure my hubby's allergies! :)

jenn said...

My kids love pot pies, and this recipe sounds simple enough for me to give it a try.

Frugal Vicki said...

I have been looking for a chicken pot pie recipe and bam! Here it is!
that is a good idea for a business. Think of all the pregnant ladies that would love this! Even better, bed ridden ladies!