CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sentimental value or stuff?

I don't mean to brag but I am kind of a decluttering queen.  That's right.  I declutter my home like a maniac and there is very little stuff around here anymore that is excess.

It started out at first because we needed money so I would declutter and do a yard sale.  Then it was because the house was small and we didn't have alot of extra room for useless things so if you weren't using it, it had to go.  Now?  it's back to we need the money. 

I have my grandparents china.  It's really nice, it's service for 12, it has platinum going through it.  It is packed up in boxes in my shed.  I don't use it.  I don't have a formal dining room and I rarely have 12 people over for a fancy dinner.  That's not to say that I've never used it.  I can count on one hand the amount of time that I have used it in the last 19 years.  So what do I do with it?  Do I keep it in the shed, collecting dust for sentimental reasons or do I sell it?  Although, here's the funny thing with that, it's a beautiful set, it is practically antique, it has platinum in it, but I cannot find ONE THING about it on the internet to tell me what it is worth.  I mean you can find ANYTHING on the dang internet, but not this china!

I also have an antique tea set that was my grandparents.  It is a lovely set, it's from the 1920's...it's in my curio cabinet.  Collecting dust.  Here it is:
It is lovely, isn't it?  As much as I love it, I don't use it.  I don't have daughters, my sons are not going to be thrilled about inheriting this.  Their wives MIGHT but it seems like something passed down from your mother-in-law is not always something that you come to treasure.  I guess it depends on the mother in law.  I love mine.  My mother loved my nana (my dad's mom) but I've also heard horror stories of relationships between women and their mother in law.  Gosh, I hope I'm not one of those stories!

Do you save things for sentimental reasons or are you willing to let it go?  Seriously, I'm curious...

3 comments:

Roo said...

The china set have a company name or anything on the bottom of it? I actually found information on some dishes that I have from my Grandparents by Googling the name on the bottom.

Maybe someone will see this blog post and be able to tell you something about it.

Petula said...

Yes, I've had to let things go that were sentimental. Mostly my grandmother's things when I've moved and didn't have room then when I needed some money. It was hard, but I was sure to keep a few pieces to remind me of her and to try to cherish her memories in other ways. Hard decision. That tea is divine. My oldest daughter would love that!

jenn said...

Skip your future daughters-in-law, and pass it down to your granddaughters. My dad's mom only had sons, but each of her granddaughters inherited a ring from her, and it is one of my most prized possessions that I plan on passing down to kasi someday. My sister only has sons, so her first Granddaughter will get her ring. I am big on keeping the things that meant something to past generations, but that's just me.