CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Taking a Break...

Those of you who know me know that I am a HUGE fan of the the show "Friends". I am currently the proud owner of all ten seasons on DVD. Nick and I can quote those episodes like pros.

Too much time on our hands?

Anyway, for those of you who followed the show, you'll remember the whole "We were on a break" thing between Ross and Rachel. It always makes me laugh thinking of all of the times that line was used throughout the series. Well, we have a "break" happening right now and I don't find it amusing. I know he will not appreciate my blogging about this but I was just so impressed with his maturity that I'm doing it anyway.

The teen and his girlfriend are on a break.

There, I've said it. There doesn't seem to be any anger about it, they've just come to the decision that a couple of weeks apart is a good thing. I agree. They spent a LOT of time together. There were days that they were together for 12 hours at a time. Hell, I'm married and there are times that Frank and I don't want to be together for 12 hours at a time!

The good thing is that she is going away with her family for a few weeks so this will be their "break" time. The boy is making plans with friends and when he told us about all of this this morning, he was fine with it. We were so proud of him. I have to admit, I was fearful of this day coming and having him be devastated. But since this seems to be a mutual thing, all seems to be well. There is a part of me that is proud of them both - it takes great maturity to realize that sometimes you need a break from one another. Then there is the mom in me that wants to hug him and pamper him and make sure he is okay. Frank then reminds me that he is a BOY and therefore probably does NOT want his mom hanging all over him. And then finally, I want to go and hug her. We love her. She is part of our family and has been for a year and a half and we will miss seeing her around.

So here I sit, silently praying that this will be a temporary thing and being thankful that they have continually proved themselves to be responsible, mature people who have respected one another. I'd like to take some credit for that as the parent but he has by far blown me away in this department. At 17, I was no where's near this responsible.

No comments: