CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Going home...again

In my earlier blog, I talked about how my grandmother was dying. Little did I know that today would result in death - not hers, but my godfather. My uncle John has passed away. He was sick a very short while (less than 6 months) but by the time the docs really knew what was wrong with him, it was too late. He had stage 4 lung cancer.

So now I'm sitting here, waiting for Frank to get home, and trying to make plans to go to New York for the weekend for the wake and funeral. Do I want to make this trip? Yes and no. My godfather was a really sweet man. I mean, I have nothing but great memories of him. He was a kind and gentle person who used to like calling me a duck when I was a little girl and always tried to tell me that I had webbed feet - even though I didn't - but I would always look, just to make sure. It was our little game and it makes me smile just to think about it. I want to go and say good-bye to him. As a Christian, I am in awe of the fact that he is in a better place right now and seeing his wife again after six years apart.

The traveller in me so does not want to make this trip. We will drive. I am unsure if Frank will go with me or not. If my lazy son had bothered to TRY and learn to drive, he could have helped out with the driving, but that's not going to happen. It's a long drive all the way along I-95. It's dirty, boring, and just plain scary. I HATE driving on the Jersey Turpike and then crossing the Veranzano Bridge in to New York. I don't do bridges well.

My heart is heavy tonight friends. Pray for safety in travel. Pray for my family as we all come together again to grieve. And Praise God for the life of a wonderful man and his journey home.

No comments: