CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Scary new week...

So this week I will be working a one-week temp job at the local newspaper.  I have to admit I am terrified of the whole thing.  I went in for training on Thursday and Friday and after the first hour on Thursday, I almost climbed out the bathroom window in tears!

Let me start by saying that I know the owners of the paper and when we talked, I was under the impression that I would just be doing some basic secretarial stuff like typing.  We had no dialogue on what experience I had or what kind of training I had, it was just "hey we need help" and I was like "I have time on my hands".  SO...I arrive at the office and find out that I know NOTHING.  Nada.  Nil.  Zilch.  Zero.  

Did I mention that I knew nothing?

Okay, so first off, they use Macs.  I use a PC.  I have only ever used a PC.  Macs are foreign to me and so even as I type this (on my home PC) I still have no real comprehension of how to use the Mac.  And there is no real typing in this job (there is some, but it is minute comparatively) it is TYPESETTING.  Two very different things.  Essentially, I am having to work on newspaper layout, on a time crunch for publication, in a format that is like Greek to me.

To say that it is intimidating would be an understatement.

So, I start tomorrow and work until Friday.  I'm terrified.  I'm nervous.  I wish I would just get a darn book deal and have to fly to New York immediately!  Is that realistic??

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine, and it will be a great experience for you.

Francis Hunt said...

Just go with it and it will work out ok! Most jobs are to a great extent "learning by doing" anyway ...

Grampy said...

You don't give yourself enough credit Stace. You will do just fine. We have faith in you.

Karen said...

You will be fine! They will show you what to do. Have fun.

Roo said...

You'll be fine Stace. Just give it your best effort.