CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Royal Wedding...

So I did not get up at 4 a.m. but I did get up a little after 5.  Yes, I am one of those people who got up early to watch the Royal Wedding.  I watched the first 45 minutes from the comfort of my own bed but then managed to get up and head to the living room where I could watch the rest of it in HD.  I sat curled up on my sofa as William and Harry arrived and was on the edge of my seat in hopes of a glimpse of "the dress".

I'm not going to lie to you, I was a little disappointed.

I understand that she is the future queen and all that and I understand that she is not a flashy person by any stretch of the imagination but really, it was beautifully classic but a little boring.  Kate was flawless, of that there was no doubt.  But I think I had a hard time seeing the adorable couple that I have come to enjoy turn so formal and a little stiff - even for such a formal even.


The official pictures that were released today just lacked their usual cheeriness and I think she's going to look back at some point and think "What?"  All in all, the ceremony was lovely, there were several parts of it that I would love to hear at my own son's wedding (when that happens).  I know formal shots are supposed to be well, formal, but I think for most of us, we also want our personalities to come through even then.  Between this stiff posing and that less-than-thrilling kiss (and second kiss), it would have been nice to see the people that we have always seen.


I think in a time of world unrest, this was a nice break.  I liked watching it.  And then I watched it a second time over lunch with Nick.  Yes, he wanted to see it and it was sweet to watch it with him.  

Overall, here's the rest of my thoughts:  The hats?  Ridiculous.  Fergie's daughter looked like she had antlers on her head (even though it was supposed to be a bow).  I kept having images of a hunting rifle scope in the shot!  There were a lot of very unattractive people there who were trying to be all that with their hats and dresses and failed miserably.  

I thought that Prince Harry was adorable - especially when he turned around when Kate was walking up the aisle.  Pipa's dress was fabulous but from all of the wild stories that I had heard about her, all I could think of was she and Harry hooking up in some cloak room later on in the day!  

It made me cry to see Camilla in the car waving to the crowd when Princess Diana wasn't alive to be doing the same.  It wasn't fair.  Knowing how much she loved her boys, I think she would have just been thrilled to see this day.  Heartbreaking.  

It was a beautiful day and I can only hope that they have a beautiful life.

No comments: