CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And now we wait...


I just got home from voting. I am a first time voter. Honestly. I've been registered for years but never exercised my right to vote. Call it lack of interest or just lack of belief that my vote actually mattered - whichever, I just never did it.

This year my friend Michelle (the Beeg) and my friend Cathleen (the smokin hottie math teacher) really got me in to what was going on. We would have these great discussions about the debates and the candidates and I found myself feeling a little out of my league. I mean, if ever you want to feel like a moron, hang out with people who follow politics when you don't. I can guarantee you, it won't take long before you realize that you are in WAY over your head. This was actually a good thing for me because it made me take a look at what was up with our country and the world around me. Don't get me wrong, I am not a complete idiot - I do watch the news and read the newspaper, but it was a very superficial interest. This campaign really grabbed my attention.

So off I went to day, full on anticipation at the prospect of casting my first ever vote in a presidential election. I drove to my polling place - the parking lot was near empty. I walked in to the building - it was eerily quiet. Where were the lines? Where was the chaos? Where were the fanatics getting in their last ditch effort to sway my vote? All in all it was very anti-climatic. I went in to the gymnasium and there were no lines, they found my name without any issues, I walked over to a booth and used my little black pen, when I was done I walked over to the little scanner and fed by ballot in. I was number 518.

Now I'm home. I am unsure what it is I'm supposed to do now. Michelle is trying to host an election night party but it is looking like a party for one right now. I'm tired, I'm sick, it's raining. It's going to be a long night of TV and I know that I will not be awake for any results so no matter what I do tonight, I won't know the outcome until I turn on GMA in the morning. I know that like many of my friends, we are praying for the right outcome. That would make all this daggone learning so totally worth it!

No comments: