CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

I'll Meet You in Homeroom

Remember the times when you were a girl in high school and you couldn't wait to meet up with your friends between classes, in homeroom, or at lunch? All of the silly conversations that were centered around who's dating who? What they did? What everyone is wearing? All the cool places you were going that weekend? Most of us miss those days, but not me! No, I'm living those days EVERY day whether I want to or not. I don't even really participate in these conversations, but I listen and nod and make a non-commital type of comment when needed.

"Do you know where they're going today? A picnic in the park."

"Do you know where they went for dinner last night? It was very late. I bet she paid."

"Do you know where they just went? I can't believe that she had to take him there!"

It's always the same. Every day there is a drama and it makes me realize how thankful I am for the 600 miles between us and the fact that I have more important things to do with my life than getting sucked in to this insane soap opera of life on Long Island. I guess that this is what happens when you have multi-generations living in one house. My mom - who is recently divorced (Praise God!) - has not re-established her own life yet so her main form of entertainment is watching and talking about my sister's life. And while, yes, it can be entertaining to listen to, there are just days that I want to scream "WHO CARES??" I have learned my lesson and do not give in to the urge to commisserate with her or offer my own disgust of the situation - that one came back and bit me on the ass one too many times. Now I just try to let her vent. But honestly, enough already! We all know what a creep this guy is, and we all know that my sister does not see it, so all we can do is sit back and wait.

Some days, I feel like I'm reading a note that was slipped to me under the desk in class. The only difference is that, as an adult, I was hoping for a bit more 'mature' conversation. It's not as fun at 40 as it was at 16.

Bummer.

No comments: