CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 24, 2010

HGTV...I may need an intervention

I am not a huge fan of TV, but I do have some favorite shows that I won't miss:  How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Psych, 30 Rock...prime time shows, once a week, no big deal.  But, oh, HGTV....

Even when our finances were at rock bottom this summer and I had to quit my memberships to the YMCA and Weight Watchers, the next logical step was to get rid of the cable.  But I couldn't.  I mean, we don't have the super-deluxe package, just the basic stuff, 100 channels.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it because then I would miss the ENTIRE HGTV network!  Seriously, when all else fails, I can turn to good ole channel 59 and there they are:  all my shows.  I LOVE House Hunters, Income Property...I have to admit, I have a secret crush (well maybe not so secret now) on the host of Income Property.  He's a little hottie and I do so enjoy his Canadian accent.  

I didn't think that my habit had gotten too bad but I'm starting to notice that Michael knows WAY more about home features than a ten year old should after being forced to watch House Hunters with me and while Frank was on the phone tonight with a friend, completely oblivious to what was on the TV, until I switched on HGTV.  Then all of a sudden he's like "Oh, THIS channel again?"  Really?  I have had to sit through WAY too many Turner Classic Movies and boo-coos of documentaries and I'm getting grief on sitting through 30 minutes of good, clean real estate searching fun?

God help the poor real estate agent we'd get should we ever be able to buy a house.  Now that I've watched all these people doing it on HGTV, I know all of the questions to ask, and what to look for and all that and now...well, I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...Scary indeed...

4 comments:

Greg said...

Paych is one of the best shows, and the funniest I've seen in a long time..LMAO every time I watch it..

Just having a weekly does of Psych is worth keeping cable!

Lola said...

I gave up Cable/Satellite tv 2 years ago. Yes, I miss certain shows, but now I get to watch them at my girlfriend's house.

My kids got addicted to the Food Network shows, now we all get our fix with Hell's Kitchen shows. (Even though I don't really care for the host, but I enjoy watching the chefs compete.)

Petula said...

That's funny, but I understand. Once I called the cable company trying to cut my cable but leave on the Internet and it would be more expensive to have just the Internet. Go figure. Trying to save money can be so difficult. When you don't have many luxuries in life and you've done all you can to cut back a little cable action can be a wonderful thing1

Gayle Herbert Robinson said...

My name is Gayle and I'm an HGTV addict... We just may need an intervention. When I didn't have it for a brief period, I suffered through House Hunter and House Hunter International withdrawal, which I admit wasn't pretty.