CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 27, 2012

Amtrak

So I'm taking Michael on this trip to Disney in September.  A super FAST trip to Disney.  I had won a free night at a Disney resort hotel and it was going to expire and so I had to use it or lose it.  Um...hello?  USING IT!

I start making plans and things got a little complicated and I had to completely change the way I do my Disney vacations to make this happen and make it happen within a budget.  

One of the biggest obstacles I was facing was the cost of airfare.  For the two of us to fly it was going to be a little over $500.  That was HUGE.  I mean, the cost of the hotel of the one night I have to pay for, food for three days and our park passes was going to be $700 so really, the cost of the airfare was killing me.  

People suggested driving but it was just going to be the two of us and that is 10 hours of driving each way with me being the only driver and it would take 2 full days and potentially additional nights at a hotel to be safe.  

And then there was Amtrak.

Did you know that kids travel at half price??  We have an Amtrak station less than 30 minutes from our house and it goes right to Orlando!  I went on line and looked at schedules and pricing and round trip for the two of us is only $180!  Who knew??

We will leave on a Saturday night around 9:15 pm and arrive in Orlando at 10:30 Sunday morning.  I opted to not get the sleeping car because that was an additional $250 and really, I think it's going to be an adventure!  I did a lot of research, asked tons of questions on my Disney boards from people who've traveled Amtrak to Disney before and basically all the reviews were positive. 

Coming home we leave Orlando at 7:30 at night and arrive home at 8:30 the next morning.  We're sleeping most of the trip away and we've saved a bundle!  I'm excited for the adventure and although I am definitely like the princess and the pea when it comes to my sleeping arrangements, for the opportunity to have this trip with Michael I think I can make the sacrifice.

Stay tuned!

No comments: