CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Return of the Bad Review

Wow, we are one mean spirited group of people.  I am telling you, I don't think I'll ever get used to getting a bad review but hopefully I'll get to a point where I'll stop READING the bad reviews.  Sheesh!

If I don't like a book, I'm annoyed, sure; but I don't go on to the book's Amazon page and trash the crap out of it.  I would seriously like to tell some people to get a life because they must have way too much time on their hands.  And what adds insult to injury?  These are the same people that got the damn book FOR FREE!!  I mean, come on!  I download plenty of free books that, quite frankly, SUCK.  Bad writing, bad story, unlikable characters, you name it but I don't go on there and kick a gift horse in the mouth.  I didn't invest anything and if I didn't enjoy it, I don't finish it!

Although this time around, the complaints are with the heroine of "Ever After" NOT my poor editing so maybe that's something.  LOL!   I'll be honest, "Ever After" was not a planned book.  The main character, Ava, was a bit over the top in "The Christmas Cottage" but people wanted to know her story.  I couldn't suddenly make her NOT over the top when the book was focused on her.  I had to stay true to the character so if you don't like it, too bad.  

I just don't know why we feel the need to unload so much negative stuff.  Does it make you feel better, reviewer?  Did ripping apart something that someone else worked hard at make your day any better?  Did you walk away feeling uplifted?  

As I said the last time this topic came up, I take comfort in the fact that all of the really BIG NAME authors get bad reviews too so who am I to think that I'm above it?  But criticism is criticism nonetheless and there's no getting away from feeling just a little bit crushed.

Not a good feeling.

To make myself feel a little better I actually went to some of my favorite author's books and read their reviews.  Even their bad reviews (one and two star ones) still had the decency to just disagree with the storyline or a character and NOT the author.  

I can only hope to get to that point some day - critique the work not the writer.  

So have a little pity and go and write me a nice review, will you please?  It would totally make my day!  

No comments: