CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 8, 2013

How a Writer Plans a Vacation

For the first time in...well, ever, I have been at a job that offers paid vacation time.  This is a brand new concept for me.  I have worked at many jobs but was never in a position where I was eligible for a paid vacation.

Well look at me now!

Seriously, my full-time, real job is great.  I work with some awesome people and other than the usual office/workplace nonsense, I really enjoy my job.  But as of five o'clock today?  I AM ON VACATION!!  WOO-HOO!!

I planned to have off this coming week because Michael is tracked out and it's Nick's Spring break.  I had BIG plans...we were going to go on a vacation.  A real vacation and Frank was going to have a paid vacation too and it was going to be great.  We were going to go to Myrtle Beach and I was going to sit and watch the surf and be inspired and write while Frank and the boys explored all of the area attraction.  Seriously, it was going to be awesome.

Then it wasn't.

Turns out Frank wasn't eligible for the paid time off.

Turns out Nick didn't want to go to the beach.

Turns out that the great deal I found expired and now all of the rooms were twice as much.

Sigh.

Okay, new plan!  Now we are taking a couple of day-trips.  Great Wolf Lodge, museums, planetariums, lunch with friends and a trip to visit the college boy at...well, college.  And somewhere in between, I have to find the time to get inspired and get some writing done.  Right now, it's difficult to keep my eyes open because I am so burned out and exhausted so I'm hoping that a couple of days of rest will clear my brain a bit and get me back on track.

I'm waiting on two cover designs and getting ready to release another book for early April and then another one for early May.  I'm getting ready to release "Ever After" as a paperback.  I wasn't going to do it this time but there are a few dear friends and family members that were adamant about getting the "real" book.  Okay, fine, that's another project for the vacation.

Now if I were to have MY dream writer's vacation where I did NOT have to take anyone else into consideration and could do as I pleased with no budget to stick to (realistically) I would rent a house on the beach somewhere (preferably south of here) and just sleep and write at will.  Ah...that would be totally sweet.  At this point in time, I'm not looking for thrills and all kinds of tourist attractions (I even turned down Disney!), I just want to have some peace and quiet to clear my head and just let the creativity flow.

Do you have an ideal "resting" vacation?  Something that would give you a time of renewal?  Where would you go?  What would you bring to do?  What books would you bring with you to read?

I've got a couple of recommendations...

No comments: