CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Little Black Dress

About eight months ago, I went shopping with a friend who needed a dress for a wedding.  She asked me to go with her and really, I was just excited about a girls night out; shopping for clothes was never exciting to me.  

So we went to Nordstrom's and I have to tell you, that store scares me.  It's big, it's expensive and really, it's just not me.  I'm a Target/Kohl's type of gal so I felt a little out of my comfort zone.  Anyway, she picked out like a half a dozen dresses and none of them thrilled me.  In my mind I was like "Great, now I'll have to fake liking one of these".  I was browsing through the racks and found a great little black dress.  I held it up and she was like "Um...no".

Ten dresses later, she allowed it in to the dressing room.

Oh...
My...
Goodness...

This was THE dress.  It was beyond perfect.  It transformed her.  One look and I was like "SOLD!"  There was not going to be another dress in any store, any where that was going to top this dress.  She bought it, we ate dinner, we cruised the mall and it was a great night.  

For MONTHS I teased that I wanted that dress.  I had absolutely no where to wear that dress but it was so spectacular that any scenario I could think of I would end with "While wearing the black dress".  It became a long running joke that never got old.

Well, lo and behold, we get invited to a wedding and I need a dress!  You see where this is going, right?  So naturally, my first instinct was to ask for the dress and of course, my girl said yes.  It took weeks for her to remember to bring it out and for me to get it and when I got it home, I took it out of the bag, slipped it on, zipped it up and...

it did NOT fit!

I'm not talking it was too big; that would have been too easy.  No, no, it was a tad bit small - but only in the bust.  I was BEYOND devastated.  I had to think and wrack my brain on what I was going to do.  I couldn't alter her dress, I couldn't FIND another dress, I wanted THAT dress.  

I figured that after almost a year, it would be hard to find and if it was available that the price would be better.  It was not.  Finding it was damn near impossible but alas, I DID find it.  By the time I did, I had bought a back up dress from Kohl's that after seeing me in the Nordstrom dress Frank deemed the back up dress "heinous".  I had to agree.  The problem was the cost.  I took back the Kohl's dress and so there was some money but I still needed to come up with $100.

I won't say where it came from (story for another time) but let's just say that I asked God to send me that money and He did.  I immediately ordered the dress and when it came in, I took it out of the box, slipped it on and...

IT FIT!
BEAUTIFULLY!!

I was transformed.  I had a Marilyn Monroe-esque figure.  I slipped on a pair of mile-high heels and all I can say is that I did NOT want to look away from my own reflection and if I could, I would wear that dress every day.

For YEARS I wanted to scream every time I read an article about the little black dress because I never found one.  I would search and search and search but never find what I wanted.  Now I have one.  And I love it.  And when this wedding is over, I promise to post pictures because it will be amazing!!!

No comments: