CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Is this really necessary?

So I'm watching the news this morning and there is a report that there is going to be another big expedition down to explore the remains of the Titanic.

Really?

And we need this, why??

Okay, I could see if we had this epidemic of sinking cruise ships, but we don't.  Actually, from as far as I can tell, this particular problem has never happened again.  Cruise ships are pretty darn safe and all of the makers have been smart enough to not JINX themselves by proclaiming their ships to be "unsinkable".  

I guess I wonder what they think it is that the world NEEDS to know.  Hey, smart-guy heading up the expedition:  We do not NEED this type of information.  Couldn't this money be better spent on something that actually HELPS the world today?  The ship hit an iceburg, it broke in half, too many lives were lost.  You going down there to make money for yourself on this horrific tragedy really is only serving yourself.  

Is looking at the wreckage bringing back lives?  No.  Is scanning the remains curing cancer?  No.  Will you, yourself, make a ton of money on documentaries, books and interviews?  Yes. 

Shame, shame, shame.

I'm not going to lie, the story of the Titanic is fascinating in it's tragedy.  It was amazing the first time we saw pictures of the actual wreckage but it was decided that the remains would not be brought to the surface because it was wrong (morally, ethically, whatever) but it seems to be okay to keep spending millions of dollars to go down there and look at it!  Wouldn't it have been better, in the long run, to just raise the ruins and examine it?  But I guess then these scientist guys couldn't keep spending money to go on deep-sea expeditions.

Crazy...

2 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Stace,

Could you give me a lesson in how to generate more readers to my blog? Mine is mostly in relations to my walk with Christ. I have read some things on blogger about it and have done a few of those things. Any tips would be most appreciated. God has called me to write, write and write some more. It's more fun to write when you can share it with others. Thanks for any suggestions.

Renee

Lin said...

It's disintegrating. I think there isn't going to be much left soon so they are going down one last time. It's kind of sad, really. It was a big thing in our history and there won't be a thing left.