CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

When does it get nervy?

Facebook is an amazing thing.  I love catching up or keeping up with friends and family, I enjoy playing games and I really like keeping up with favorite authors or musicians in a more personal environment.  

What I don't like is people that seemingly have an "agenda" that they use Facebook for.  I had one friend who was EXTREMELY political and most of his posts were just nonsense rants.  I'm still his friend, I just block his posts.  when I'm curious about what's going on in his life, I can drop by his page and find out.  

Tonight, however, I noticed something that really kind of enraged me.  An acquaintance is posting how many friends she has and currently she is trying to adopt internationally.  Her original post was her asking for $20 from each of her friends so that she can book her flight and bring her babies home.  Then she lowered it (quite a bit to $2 per FB friend).

Don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge someone that is looking to adopt children; if that's what they want to do, more power to them.  But while we were nearing eviction and were putting out prayer requests, not ONCE did we blatantly ASK for money.  That just seems a little crude.  I mean, maybe I'm the one who's looking at this the wrong way but what would it sound like if my status read "I have 684 friends on Facebook, if each of you hired Frank to paint a room in your house, I wouldn't have to work three jobs...or then Frank and I could get out of the hole that 6 months of him not working has created".

That would sound heinous and nervy, wouldn't it???

 

4 comments:

Roo said...

That is nervy!!!! How many of those FB friends are actual friends and not just acquaintances? I'm not going to give money to someone in a situation like that. First of all, they have to know going into the adoption process that there are going to be expenses involved. Second, if they can't come up with the money to cover their travel expenses (without begging money from people in the cyber-world) then maybe this adoption isn't the right thing to do at this time.

I have several "friends" that I have blocked because of their political rants or their disgusting/vulgar posts. Sometimes you just have to draw the line.

Anonymous said...

Well you can have your husband make a FaceBook page for his business. And you could promote it on your FB page. You're not asking for a thing, you are offering/making people aware of a service. It's called marketing!

Joe-ann said...

Not being selfish or what, but networking sites should be for your benefit not for others to use you or take advantage of you.Just my thought.

Rose Clearfield said...

Yes, that sounds nervy to me, too. Some people have no shame. In general I just go on FB to update my jewelry fan page. I can't deal with reading the info that people think is oh so important to share 24/7 more than a couple times a week.