CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 14, 2010

I might as well weigh in too...


If you are a human being with a TV you've probably heard about what is going on at NBC with Jay Leno's show and the Tonight Show. Now, I don't watch either one. Why? Okay, here's my take on the whole thing:

First: I thought it was kind of stupid to end Jay Leno's run on the Tonight Show by giving him a show EXACTLY like the Tonight Show but earlier in the night.

Second: There is no show in creation that needs to be seen five nights a week. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Even shows in re-runs I have a hard time wanting to watch five times a week.

Third: I don't stay up late enough to watch the late night shows like the Tonight Show or Letterman - although on the rare occasion when I do, they are funny to me.

Okay, so that was why I didn't watch them. But this whole thing with canceling the Jay Leno show and giving him his old time slot back and pushing the Tonight Show and Conan back because of it is just WRONG. I'm certainly no TV executive but even I can see that this is just wrong on way too many levels. The main ones? Jay has had his time in the sun. If his earlier show didn't cut it, then cut him too. There are many shows that don't cut it and don't get the opportunity to try it out at different time slots. Then there's the fact that by moving him the network is essentially screwing the Tonight Show - a show that has done wonders for a long time for their network. For those in the population that DO stay up to watch it, why should they be punished by having to wait an extra thirty minutes to see it? Again, shouldn't Jay step aside at this point? Hasn't he made enough money?

I don't know or pretend to know what goes on in these people's heads. All I know is that from a TV viewers stand-point, this is bad business. They never gave poor Conan a chance to make the Tonight Show work because really, all they did was move it up to 10 pm and call it the Jay Leno Show. Most people probably didn't feel the need to stay up and watch the Tonight Show at 11:35 because they already saw it earlier. Personally, I like Conan O'Brien. I always enjoyed watching him and if he leaves NBC (which I hope he does and that Jay Leno TANKS!) I'll watch him when I can stay awake!

Shame on you, NBC. Shame on you...

*Today's Examiner.com article is on the Homeschool Gathering Place here in Raleigh, North Carolina. To read about it, click HERE. Thanks!*

9 comments:

Sue said...

I think Conan is getting the raw end of the deal too. But I actually did like this new Jay Leno show. They say they want to put more drama back at 10 instead, but the new Jay Leno show was something my 13 yr. old son could watch with me. No sex or violence. I wish there were more shows on that are good for young kids.

The whole thing is a mess, no matter what they do now.

carol at A Second Cup said...

I have seen that image on Facebook and had no idea way anyone would post it there. Now I too am in the know. Thank you.

jenn said...

The thing that bothers me is that some great shows have been canceled because Jay was in the 10pm slot...like Trauma.I loved that show, but the network thought it was too "heavy" for the 9pm slot, so they cancelled it. Are they going to bring that back now? I don't think so. I agree with you. He show tanked, so can him.

Glenna Frazier said...

Great artical I totally agree.

Catherine said...

I agree with you completely...i like Jay Leno and thought his old show was great, but if he didn't want to quiet, he should have renewed his contract. It's Conan's show now and to kick Conan out of the way is just wrong.

Lola said...

I think everyone fails to realize...Conan's contract says he gets paid even if they give the show back to Leno. Conan won't be hurting.

I actually dislike both of them, so I don't really give a hoot. I totally love Craig Fergusen.

David DeWall said...

Hi Stace, I'm with you. Why are five nights of Jay Leno necessary? I thought when I moved to the Philippines I would escape this stupidity. But no, I get cable and what do I get, yep, five nights of Leno! And yes, Conan, who I do like, is getting screwed.

Nani said...

I was very upset when I came to find out the Jay's show was on 5 days a week and shows I liked were axed- Jen, I was wondering where Trauma went! Again, they bring in a new show get you into the characters and pull it! They gave Kelsey Grammers new show 3 shots to get the viewers - and then axed it- i think because it was too clean for them- I liked that. oopss...sorry went on a rant-

Frugal Vicki said...

There are all sorts of things flying around like Conan putting the show up for grabs and I saw a show where Leno made lots of jokes against NBC. I personally think tv and movie stars make way too much as it is, and the people that SHOULD be getting laid off are them because they have enough to live for the rest of their lives anyway, but I am bitter.