CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Walk Away the Pounds - the Five Mile Walk"


Okay, so I am slowly creeping my way through Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds series. I started with the DVD that had a 1 mile, a two mile, and a three mile walk. Looking back, these were basic workouts but when I started them, I was like "Dear Lord! Is she trying to kill me??" It was the deluxe edition that boasted "3 Workouts on 1 DVD!" Yippee!! Each workout had the group in different colored outfits and all boasted her famous "walk away weighted balls". They were all good workouts. After a while I would combine two of the workouts for a more intense, thorough workout.

Then I purchased the "Walk Away Your Waistline!" This was a three mile walk featuring the walk belt! Ooohhh...Aahhh...Well, let me just say that I can count on one hand the amount of times I did this one because it was such a huge jump in impact from the first DVD. I mean, it wasn't like a gradual step up, it was HUGE. I found myself sucking wind after the first few minutes. I was not a happy camper. I kind of felt like a wimp but I just could not get my groove on with this workout! I mean, I had mastered the three mile walk on the other DVD but this three mile workout was far superior in it's intensity.

So I returned to using the first one and was happy for a while. But with the half marathon looming, I knew I was going to need to do a bit more. With that in mind, I returned to the walk at home system to see if they had anything that a person in marathon training could use. I decided upon the 5-Mile Walk from Leslie Sansone and it is advanced. I was a little nervous going in to it because I was pretty comfortable at my 15-minute mile. Not too fast, not too slow, just guaranteed to not let that bus come and pick me up on the marathon route because I was going too slow!

I ordered it, it came with a fitness band this time, and I tried it out immediately. And you know what? It's a good workout. On the first try I was able to do the entire 5 miles. I didn't use the weights, belts, bands, etc. on that first time out, but I was able to do the entire walk. At times you are doing a 10 minute mile, others you are doing a 12 minute mile, so I am feeling pretty confident that I can eventually get myself up to that point where I can do them comfortably without getting too out of breath and be able to maintain it for longer periods of time.

The biggest improvement on this DVD? You now have the option of NOT hearing the talking. You can just have the music. You know how it is with ANY workout program on disc, it could be the greatest workout ever but after a little while, you just want to tell the instructor to SHUT IT!! The jokes are no longer funny, the very sound of their voice becomes like nails on a chalk board. After doing the workout a couple of times I tried this option, it was nice. Particularly when I am doing the walk with a friend. Now we can talk without all of the chatty banter on the TV interupting you! It's a beautiful thing!

So that's where I am in the half-marathon training world. I am busy mastering the five mile walk. I'm not there yet but I am making progress. Right now here in North Carolina, it is almost 100 degrees outside. I cannot wait for the summer to be over so I can actually wave goodbye to the DVD walk and actually go outside and have a REAL walk. Hopefully by that time I will have long mastered the five mile and will be able to do it all with a smile and just a healthy glow - not the sweating, someone-get-me-a-cardiologist look I've had at times!




2 comments:

Nani said...

ok so can i borrow the beginners 1/2 mile dvd or perhaps the quarter mile dvd??? ok I know there is not one...i'll suffer through the mile one than....

ganesh kumar said...

I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentters here!Keep writing.Thanks.