CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 21, 2009

Maybe If David Cassidy Were There...

You know, it has been a ROUGH week for me. I mean seriously. There have been sleepless nights, early mornings, crazy random thoughts screaming in my brain, bug bombings...I mean, rough. But yesterday pretty much topped it all and this morning I feel as if I have been dragged behind a bus.

Yesterday Nick had to take his college entrance exam. Yes, he's still a senior homeschooler, but he can now be dual enrolled at the community college. We left the house at 7:55, drove to the college in the morning rush hour traffic, found place to park, walked around the campus a little and at 8:45 he was whisked off. I was told that this test would take anywhere from 2-3 hours. Oh, but let me stop there for a minute...

You see, to most people, I am an encourager. I enjoy encouraging people. I enjoy talking with people who are struggling and encourage them. When it comes to my son? It's like I'm waving pom-poms covered in poo. The boy just makes me CRAZY! I mean, he didn't prep for this test the way I wanted him to because he knows it all. Why didn't he prep? Because (and I quote) "it's okay to fail - because you really can't fail a placement test." Um, great logic except that you CAN fail by not being smart enough to take even remedial college courses!! So he's arguing with me that I have to tell him that it's okay to fail. Um, no. Sorry, but this option of being okay with failing is not an option to me. There comes a time in life where you just have to put in the effort and NOT FAIL. I do not want another DMV incident, you know? So we argue, he's mad that I won't say that it's okay to fail and as we're walking in to the administration building, I feel bad but there's nothing I can say because I refuse to lie to him. Was that a bad mom moment? I'm not sure...

But back to the story...they whisk him away and now I am unsure what I am supposed to do. So I look at the receptionist and she gives me a big smile and says that I can go...I can leave...I don't have to sit and wait...OMG!!! I have free time on my hands for at least two hours!!! This is even more glorious than you can imagine because Frank has had NO work this week and has been around me every second of every day and I'm ready to start tearing the skin off of my body. Ick.

So I'm in the car, all giddy with possibilities - the Partridge Family Theme is playing in my head for some unknown reason - and I make my first stop the Super Target. Do you have any idea how peaceful the Super Target is at 9:00 in the morning? It is GLORIOUS! I strolled. I browsed. I got lots of little items on clearance. Life was good. After an hour there I headed across the street to the mall and did the tour of Archiver's (my favorite scrapbook supply store) and then hit Barnes and Noble - always a favorite. Now it's about 10:40 and I figure I should start heading back to the school just in case he's done early. By this time, I've done about 2 miles of walking between the campus, the Target and the mall and I'm feeling a bit tired. I stop for gas on the way back to the school and while I am finishing pumping, my phone rings. I'm torn between the phone and the pump so I decide to put the pump away quick and get a gasoline bath on my hand! I don't normally mind the smell of gasoline but I didn't want to go and meet wtih a college advisor smelling like a gas pump! It was Nick, he was done, come get him. He gave me no clue as to how the test went.

HE PASSED!!! Everything except part of the math. Sigh. He is SO my son. Go ahead, Cathleen, and laugh. Yes, my son can't do the math either.

But we chose to celebrate the victory and went to lunch and had the biggest Bison burgers I had ever seen! They were delicious! Next we headed over to another one of the college campus' where he'd be taking a bulk of his classes to meet with an advisor. She did not advise very much. It was a 30 minute drive, a 15 minute walk...I'm exhausted now - particularly after the yummy and filling lunch. We leave there and try to think of someplace to go. Why? Because Frank was bug-bombing the living room ONE MORE TIME in hopes of getting the last of the bugs. Sigh. So we go to the library to try and get some books to help prepare the boy for next semester (we were too late to get him in for this semester). We kill around 30 minutes there after the 30 minute drive to GET there. Still more time needed to kill. Now we go to the dentist to make him an appointment because his wisdom teeth are hurting. Check. Done. Still need more time to kill. Okay, we go and get his hair cut. Check. Done. At this point, he's got to get to work so he was a few minutes early but I did not care. GET OUT OF THE CAR!!! I AM SO DONE!!!

Now on to home to help clean up the bug-bomb debris, do laundry, generally clean house - all with a migraine at this point. I get to rest for a little while until...wait for it...I have to go to Open House at Michael's school to meet the teacher. The don't let you in until they are good and ready so there was lots of sweating and bug swatting in the meantime. Fun, fun times. We meet the teacher, she speed talks like me, we leave and as we're walking out, we talk with some dear friends. That was a highlight, I love talking to my friends.

I realize at this point that no one has eaten dinner. Michael, being my opinionated eater, did not want the Chinese food that was right next door to the school. Oh, no. He wanted McDonalds. Okay, I can do this. Sort of. I place the order to the Chinese place, drive to the McDonald's behind EVERY slow-ass driver on the planet, get stuck behind the guy who apparently NEVER saw a McDonald's menu and finally, FINALLY got back to get the Chinese food. I sent Michael in and guess what? They could not find my order. OH COME ON!!! After ten minutes, they sort it out, I've got my food and I realize that I have to pick Nick up from work in 20 minutes. What do I do? I mean, I COULD go home, drop Michael off, shovel my Chinese food down my throat before I cry from sheer frustration, OR I can go and just drive to the store and wait.

I chose to go and wait. Michael ate his McDonald's in the car. I went in to the supermarket and found Nick and pretty much threatened him that if he took even an extra SECOND to speak to anyone when his shift was over, I would leave him there. He's like "Did I do something wrong?" I'm like "No, it's just been a long, long day and I just want to go home." I mean, in all fairness, it's almost 8:30 at night and my Partridge Family Theme song is starting to mock me!

We DID finally get home. We DID finally eat dinner. Praise the LORD!!! Where was Frank during all of this merriment? Off playing with the band, the lucky SOB. I'm crying in the Chinese food parking lot and he's off banging the drum and having a grand ol' time!! I sat down at the computer to work on my Disney presentation that I'm doing with a friend in October and at 11:15 I finally dragged my near-lifeless body to bed. This morning...my body is severely protesting any kind of movement.

I have to volunteer at the school at 11:30....what was I thinking????

Pyzam Glitter Text Maker



10 comments:

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

"get stuck behind the guy who apparently NEVER saw a McDonald's menu", SO HILARIOUS, and so true!

Nani said...

well, at least you did not have a boring day and you got some deals at target...thats always a good thing

Nani said...

oh and he PASSED! thats a very good thing

jenn said...

I hate days like that. I hope you at least enjoyed the chinese food :)

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain said...

Yea!!! He passed!! Hopefully you get some peace this weekend.

Lidian said...

I think you deserve at least two weeks at a luxury spa that has its own Barnes and Noble.

Petula said...

I'm glad he passed and I'm exhausted right along with you. My week has been a blur and I still have a giant to-do list. I've woken up with a headache for the past two days and now I need a nap after experiencing your day and mine! LOL...

I hope you get some rest soon because I know exactly what it's like to spend most of your day in a car, taking someone, picking up someone, running errands, walking and killing time.

A.Marie said...

I love the comment, "I'm ready to start tearing the skin off of my body." HAHA! That's hysterical!

Sounds like you had such a great day; you should have come to my small-town world and we could have went to the Fair and had a corn dog or a snow cone. Now, THAT is Living! :)

PJ said...

whoa...you have got to slow down just a little bit lady, you're going to wear yourself sick! i'm happy that nick passed the entrance exam, that is great news! sometimes i don't get where my kids come up with some of their ways of thinking. i know it certainly didn't come from me. but i guess we have to let them learn from their mistakes, just like everyone else has to do. just seems easier to kick em in the butt rather than let them make those mistakes. have a great weekend sweetie! much love to you.

Shawie said...

wow! whatta day:)) action-packed and interesting! hope you have a wonderful weekend!