CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Movie Review: "Up"


This afternoon I took Michael and his friend Eric to see the new Disney/Pixar movie, "Up". I had really been looking forward to this one ever since I saw the first preview for it. It's in Disney Digital 3-D and I have yet to see a bad Pixar movie.

Knowing what a big fan of Disney that I am, I've seen most of their animated movies. What always strikes me that these movies are geared for children, but deal with some very serious subjects. In this case the main character, Carl, comes to grips with the fact that he never had the "adventure" that he and his wife/childhood sweetheart dreamed of. As he is about to be forced in to a senior citizen community, he decides to sail his home to South America where he and his wife had always dreamed of going.

The first 15 minutes of the movie detail his entire life in very little dialogue. You see how he met his wife, how they got married and all of the ups and downs of their life up until his beloved Ellie dies. When I looked over at Michael and Eric during those first few minutes, they looked thoroughly bored. I found myself fighting back some tears.

The story is very well written and the 3-D effects are not buffoonish as they sometimes can be. There were high quality effects, beautiful scenery and a truly wonderful story. All of the characters were interesting and all in all, I really enjoyed the whole experience. There were definitely some funny scenes - the talking dog, Dug, is truly a hoot.

This is a great family movie and I was disappointed that Frank and Nick didn't go with me. I know they would have enjoyed it, too. Well, it looks like there will be another Disney DVD to add to our collection!


1 comment:

Roo said...

Thanks for the review. It seems that your opinion is about the same as the reviewer in People Magazine. I think Sis & I are going to take the nephew to see it June 13. Can't wait!!!